SRS Not happy at college. (long)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dazed, Sep 3, 2005.

1. dazed

dazed New Member

It’s been two weeks—the novelty is gone. Now we’re down to the real Blacksburg we all know and love—party, party, party. And I for one can’t stand it. Don’t get me wrong, it was a lot of fun the first couple nights: dancing, having a good time, getting to know the group you came with. But now, that’s all there is to do around here. It’s like a set rhythm—Friday’s here, let’s go drink. You can’t go anywhere and not be immersed in the school. Everywhere you turn, it’s VT this or Hokie that. You can never get away; everything is somehow connected to this place. And for some people, that’s great—but not for me. I just want to get away from the school, to do something independent of the orange and maroon—but I can’t.

Culture. Diversity. Where did it go? Everyone is the same: Abercrombie wearing, white, middle class. Don’t get me wrong, they’re really nice people, but they’re all the same. I’ve met so many people and I can’t seem to find anyone who isn’t like the person I met before them. What happened to depth? What about personality? I for one don’t like to conform; I do what I do because I like it. Am I the only one? It seems everywhere I turn I see someone walking around with those strange looking plaid shorts, a polo shirt, and flip flops. I like to think that everyone is like a cake—with many layers. Here it seems like the entire school has just one layer (a beer flavored layer). There’s nothing to do here except find a party and go. Every night it’s the same thing, over and over. The town of Blacksburg doesn’t offer much itself either—trust me; I’ve walked it many times with many people.

I’ve met some great people, I have a group of about 8-10 people that I hang out with everyday and they’re great, but I can’t spend the next four years of my life like this; with the same people. I understand that it’s a good education and that four years is little to pay for in the long run if it will help me secure a job, but I just can’t do it. I don’t know why, I just can’t. Don’t get me wrong, I’m having a great time; it’s a lot of fun here. But there’s got to be more to life than just fun. We goof off and joke around, make stupid videos, play sports, just normal things. But at the end of the day, when’s all said and done, what do you have left?

It’s only been two weeks. It’s not that school is hard, I’m doing really well in all my classes and studying hard and all of that. I’m not homesick at all; I actually love the fact that I’m finally out on my own and living my own life. But I don’t like it here. The distance isn’t a concern—it’s the lifestyle; both the one I’m accustomed to and the one I’ve been thrown into. Going from the metro tri-state area to southern, rural Virginia was going to be a drastic change, and I knew that—I thought I was ready for it, but it’s not what I thought it would be. I need to be in a place with different kinds of people, different things to do, and culture—I need culture.

I’m writing this at 10:15 on a Friday night. Why now? Because we’re getting ready to go to another party. Do I want to go? Not at all. Is there anything to do besides go? Not at all. So here I sit, about to leave my room and head to Phi Kappa Psi. No doubt it will be a nice time, but is it going to be fun tomorrow? Who knows. How about next weekend? We’ll see.

I have no problem going up and introducing myself to strangers, I'm not shy and all and I've looked for different kinds of people, I really have, and I've found nothing.

It's really long and I apologize. But how do I tell my parents that I don't want to play baseball anymore, that I don't want to go to school here anymore, that I want to go back to a city. Any city, as long as it has different kinds of people.

Edit: I'm from the NY area and go to school at Virginia Tech.

:hs:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  2. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

Maybe try to get into a school around DC?

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If i where you i would either go on a world trip, or go study in Paris , Madrid , Amsterdam or Israel. Education levels on the universities are high there and there is a LOT of cultural diversity, if you stay in America you will always get more or less of 'the same' thing. It would be a welcome change and i think you can convince your parents that a study in a foreign country will enhance your capacities and give you more 'world experience'. I think by now you have had about just enough of the narrow minded sheep that all just follow eachother for who university or high school is just another exuse , i would dive into spiritualism if i where you and get involved into a job that will expose you to a lot of cultural diversity. I think Paris will spark into beginning to forfill that need you have for cultural essence and diversity. And from there you may choose wherever you want your life to go.

4. dazed

dazed New Member

I can't go abroad until atleast my second semester sophomore year, so atleast another year.

I'm thinking of applying for a transfer into Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, and Georgetown.

5. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I would KILL to be able to go to Georgetown.

I think being near a big city is key. I got to a college that's right outside ATL and i dont have that problem BUT i have been to other colleges and partied there before (UGA, Auburn, etc.). I had fun but I couldn't do it all the time. College is life. Campus is it's own city surrounded by NOTHING and that's why everything is centered around your school. I've been to VA Tech and it's the same way.

Go to Georgetown and you'll love it and i'll be jealous. It's a win win.

6. dazed

dazed New Member

I have a 4.0 and have entered college carrying 24 credits already. I will be graduating with a degree in Chemcial Engineering bu the age of 20. Thank you.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It all comes down to that you are unhappy and that you should make a choise in your carreer that will give you the cultural satisfaction that you need. I wouldn't be afraid to make the steps in your life that will give you happyness. Nowadays there's no need for you to be in a place where you don't want to be, if you goto school being unhappy every day it means you are doing something wrong in your life, and that can never be a good thing. In the end its your life, and you have to make those choises that will benefit you the most in life in general and carreer whise. And to be honest with that 4.0 your most likely to be accepted anywhere.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Finish your degree at VT.

Start hanging around the B'nai Brith club on campus. Or the Gay & Lesbian club. I'm serious. I'm not suggesting you're gay, that's actually irrelevant. Being from NY you'll have been exposed to a lot more cultural and ethnic diversity than just about anywhere else on the planet. Come on, you're from NEW YORK of all places!!

Are you sure there isn't a deviant subculture lurking in the dark recesses of VT? Go seek them out before you consider transferring schools, and blowing that nice scholarship.

If you really can't stand it...ok. But at least finish your first semester at VT. Don't make snap decisions about changing schools. Yeah, VT might be boring, but factor in the culture shock, the natural discomfort at a new place (even if you went somewhere with lots of diversity)...those are natural aspects of moving to a new place. It's called translocation shock.

Anyways, give it some time. And look into some weirdo clubs on campus. There ought to be something available...

9. dazed

dazed New Member

I meant a 4.0 in my first month of college.

10. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

oh GOD I know how you feel. I can't get away from the college and honestly most of the people in this town are "townies" that are not worth hanging out with and don't even know where canada is.
    I can't go to the local bar without seeing some of my professors there and it feels like everywhere I go I can't escape. I jsut drive into Dallas on the weekends to run away.

11. most schools have a multi-cultural club, go check it out.

12. TwoToneS13

TwoToneS13 New Member

Well man, I can totally see where your coming from. Thats a shame. You just got to try to take it all in, and form some good relationships. Try to meet a gf. Girls can truly give you comfort and make your life feel great

13. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

There is certainly more to do here than just party. You just have to find the right group of people. If you like camping or hiking, you're in heaven here. I don't know if you have a car or not but there is plenty you can do around her or shortly from here. There are also lots of things to do instead of drinking. Look through some of the clubs and such. Check out the Skydiving Club :eek3:

Also, going to Phi Psi doesn't give you a good impression of things. Even parties, those are stinky freshman parties, there are much better.

Go walk through newman and meet some international students. Trust me, there is plenty. If you want to find it, you can around here, you're just going to have to look for it first.

14. Budha

Budha Guest

Dude, I go to school 2 hours away from you at JMU... THERE IS SO MANY THINGS TO DO OTHER THAN PARTY MAN!! I personally love to go drink, but join some freakin clubs brotha. Tech is freakin huge. There are so many mountains around there, go hiking, get into mountain biking, go snowboarding, meet new people. There are so many people that are actaully not into partying than you think. I know tons at JMU, and this place is really wild. Clubs are the best ways to find diversity, join a politcal club, talk politics, join the frisbee club and go play some frisbee, watch football with your boys, make as many fucking friends as you possibly can. The more people you know, the better off you are and that is true for the rest of your life. Trust me, I know mad people that go to tech, and have a blast not partying all the time.