Not feeling anything after chest exercises

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dorn, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorn

Dorn New Member

The past few times I've gone to the gym and did chest workouts, I walk out not feeling anything, and I don't feel anything the next day either.

During the day, I'll (usually) do the following in a different sequence each time.

Flat barbell bench
    Flat dumbell bench
    Incline dumbell
    Decline barbell
    Laying cable fly
    Decline lever chest press
    Standard lever chest press
    Dips
    Dumbell fly

I won't do all of the exercises each day, some are cut out each day. My form is good, I just don't feel anything during or after the exercises. I have trouble putting up some of the weight I'm doing, but I don't feel it afterwards. I read the bench pressing article in the archives, didn't help much. I've gone over the animations at exrx.net, again, doesn't seem to help much.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

2. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

wide grip bench and DB flies. If you arent feeling it in your chest then you aren't using enough reps

3. Dorn

Dorn New Member

I'm not sure if the bar you're using is the same as mine, but I'll describe the grip on it in hopes they're the same.

On our bar, there's the "grip" part of the bar on each side of the middle, with a smooth ring in the middle. Directly in the middle of the bar, there's also a "grip" portion. By grip portion, I'm talking about a rough surface.

To determine where to grip, I'll put my hands up there, and use my thumbs as a measurement. I extend my thumbs along the bar, and put the tips at the end of the grips on each side. Usually this'll put my hands right near the smooth ring in the middle of the bigger grip portions of the bar on each side of the bar.

4. Dorn

Dorn New Member

And as far as the dumbell flies, I'm doing them flat. I feel a little bit, but not much. I can't really go much more weight seeing as I can't really control it at the down position.

5. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

the knerling is different for different bars. Just grab it as wide as you can.

6. prech

prech New Member

I've been doing only dips and incline DB bench for the past few months and am making some gains, and my upper pecs and minors (near armpits) always feel sore the following day... I guess I just respond well to a few heavy compounds. I just switch order and set/reps occasionally to promote gains, 3x8, 5x5, 4x6, 2x15s

7. Dorn

Dorn New Member

My goal is to try and get 10 reps. I start off at 80 lbs+bar, then go to 90 lbs+bar, then up to either 95 or 100 +bar.

Should I be doing more weight, but less reps? Thinking back, I do remember being sore when I first started doing 100, and I was only able to do 5-7 reps.

8. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

how about use common sense and squeeze the muscle you are trying to contract? It has nothing to do with reps right now. You need to get the feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.