SRS Not drinking/smoking in college...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pen Is Mightier, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Is this like even possible? I "quit" weed like...1.5 months ago I think and I've been pretty good about saying "no thanks" to people who offer me it but I have slipped up twice in this 1.5 month period. I think I can never smoke weed again though, I hope. Weed is just like such a lazy thing...its not even that fun but for some reason I smoked those two times. I am trying to raise my life up right now and I think it will keep me down by being lazy/not active.

But then there is alcohol...I feel like that is the only thing to do in college on weekends. Usually people will ask what you are doing tonight...and by that they mean wheres the party at...not oh are you going to the gym or something. I don't want to be a loser here and just like go lift on a Friday/Saturday night or go do something at my room by myself. :ugh: But I also am kind of over the whole drinking scene or at least I'm trying to be. What can I do to help prevent me from drinking? Whats other things to do besides play fucking beer pong? I feel like that is all I do on weekends. Just get fucking wasted drunk, hit on some random girls and then the night always has some "catastrophic" drunk accident like some BF/GF start fighting, someones puking their face out or cops show up or something. :rofl: I dont think I'm addicted to alcohol but I do reach for it when I dont feel good...but I dont want to drink anymore...how the fuck do I even do this? Hard to not drink in college.

Hmmmph. At least I dont do hard drugs anymore...right? :ugh:

2. Didn't drink (much) tonight but I started smoking (tobacco, not weed at least?) to supplement it. Fuck me. Stop one, start another. I'm trying to take all drinking/smoking weed/smoking tobacco out of my life but it is kind of hard. I'm completely over coke/X though so thats good...right?

3. Sp33dealer

Sp33dealer OT Supporter

I feel you on the drinking weekend thing in college.

I love having a good time with my friends and drinking on the weekends, but the further I get into college and start thinking about it, I realize that I spend nearly every weekend getting drunk. I'm going to start not drinking as much on weekends, offer to be the DD, and see how it goes.

If I was able to quit dip a few months ago, I shouldn't have trouble cutting back on alcohol (hopefully)

4. Mint

Mint Active Member

make new friends people.... stop being followers attending these parties and invite all your homies to your place to kick it..

or go to a movie
    or grab some food
    or go go-karting
    or go bowling
    or go clubbing (and dont drink, just dance with hoes)
    or go ice skating (no homo)
    or go walk around your local downtown area.

5. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

this is a complex issue, and one that I am very familiar with - check my marijuana addiction thread in here. I wrote a fucking novel about my history with weed and thats not even a quarter of the story.

The problem is that there are a lot of different factors working in conjunction to push you towards the "big two" substances. For one, it's the easy thing to do because everyone else is drinking and smoking and it's easier to just go with the flow than swim upstream. And then there's the "what ELSE can I do on a weekend night?" factor. And most likely, you probably actually kinda like your drinking and smoking friends. The problem is that if you're around them and those kind of situations, but never use, you're going to have to constantly explain yourself. THAT can be frustrating, especially when people start trying to convince you to use, and sometimes they have awfully convincing arguments.

Here are a couple solutions that I've found that have worked decently for myself, and a couple that I have seen work for others:

- Become a connoisseur of the weekend night activities around you. Do you like to laugh? Hmm that was a dumb question. Go to some standup comedy shows! Like music? Damn another dumb question. Go to some local indie concerts. If your school is in a small town, you might have to become a movie buff - and these things might cost money, but a movie costs about the same as a 12 pack, sooooo.....

- If you need something else to do on weekend nights, find what it is that you do that makes you feel best about yourself - what makes you feel like "I am the fucking man and nothing can touch me" - for me that is training in MMA (mixed martial arts, like muay thai and jiu-jitsu). When I train hard, and push myself to the point of nearly throwing up, it's incredibly rewarding. I am able to conquer myself. I wanted to quit, I wanted to quit bad - but I didn't. Combine that feeling with the endorphines, and I guarantee you won't be thinking about going out and getting drunk - you'll be thinking about how much better you'll feel tomorrow morning than your drunk friends. Find what makes you feel like that. Maybe you need to set a new PR in at least one lift every weekend? Check out T-nation.com to step your training up to a new level.
    And if you're concerned about being a goober and lifting by yourself on weekends - then DONT lift by yourself on weekends. Find other people who take training seriously, and see if they would want to be training partners once a week or something?

- Lie to your friends. Tell them you got a stomach ulcer over christmas break from "being a fucking monster dude, I downed half a bottle of 151 in like 3 hours". Say the doctor said that if you drink more than one or two beers in a night, you could have major repercussions. This will allow you the opportunity to still go out with your friends to parties, bars, and clubs, have a drink or two if you choose, and then stop. Because if you don't stop, your friends will either think you're a liar, or stop you. It's basically a way to manufacture external controls.

- Be the permanent DD. But don't be your friends bitch, because you'll wind up with fake friends who just take advantage of you. They have to do something for you in return. It doesnt have to be big at all, just SOMETHING.

- Get a girlfriend

- Enjoy your weekdays - put off homework and studying for the weekends. And then when everyone else is out partying, do work. You'll mysteriously be the kid who never studies but gets good grades lol.

- Start street racing if you're in a big city. It's not really a "little thing" seeing as how it costs thousands of dollars, but I have a few friends who spend their weekend nights out making (or losing) money and having a hell of an adrenaline rush at the same time. Plus you'll meet a lot of great new people!

- Strip clubs.

yeah I've got a few more but I gtg.
    good luck man

6. prototism

prototism Guest

I don't do either. I'm usually the DD by choice anyway.

7. cope

cope GETONMYHYPE

seriously, its not worth it in college. just smoke/drink and do whatever in college, and cut it if you want afterwards

8. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

I appologize if this isn't a proper response for this forum, but read your posts. Be it the coke and x you bought, the sleeping pills you were taking 4x the dose, etc..... stay away from everything seems the only solution. Because it looks obviously that you can't handle any drugs without going being addicted or damn near.

9. cope

cope GETONMYHYPE

90% of people

10. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

I mean ANY drugs. He can't sleep so he takes 4 times the dose ? wtf

11. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I might be a rarity here but I don't drink or smoke weed or do any drug for that matter. I'm a junior in college and I stopped drinking and smoking back when I was in high school. I hate feeling shitty and I especially hate waking up hungover and wasting your whole day because of it. When my girlfriend and I started dating she regularly went to the bar every weekend and would smoke weed afterwards. She told me early on one of the things she loved most about me was that I didn't have to drink or smoke to have a good time with friends. That was a year ago, and now she stopped smoking weed completely and rarely goes out, if she does only has a few drinks and calls it a night. All of my friends drink and party and I usually go with them to have a good time and see people I haven't seen in awhile. All of my friends respect that I don't drink and even strangers think it's awesome that I don't need to drink or smoke to have a good time. It makes me feel good to drive my friends home and still get to enjoy their company.

So to answer your question- Yes it is completely doable to not drink or smoke in college and still have a good time. However, I think a huge thing that lets me have so much fun is that I'm a really out going and good natured person, so I can be around an entire bar or house filled with drunk people and still be able to be just as happy as them.