TAT Not another 1st Tattoo Question...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Idyfohu, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I've been contemplating about my tattoo for roughly a year now...

The tattoo that I want is this:
    [​IMG]

The Chinese characters are my daughters characters in her name, which together is her Chinese name (duh). My initial concern is that "kanji" and the like are so played out, everyone gets, "warrior", "love", etc.

However, this is my daughter's name (she's half Chinese like her daddy) and what's also special is that my grandfather, who named her, wrote the image you see, so it's his handwriting as well (which I've been told is very good...his handwriting).

I've decided that I want it in a somewhat inconspicuous spot so I'm planning on having the tattoo on my inner arm, centered in the middle running from the top of my arm (right after my armpit hair ends) to just above my elbow (the inside), which is about 6". I want to keep the same scale from the original as far as width, so the width will be 1.83".

I've been thinking about adding a "masculine" :noes: flower of some sort or cherry blossom border/theme, but I don't know if that is going anywhere. I guess I'll pull up some images I really like and have my artist draw something up for me, but if you have input let me know.

Ultimately, I think I'll do just the characters for now and down the road if I see something that stands out I can add that...don't want to make rash decisions right?

Anywho, for any Utahns, I'm thinking of going to Lost Art or Loyalty and should be doing this within a few weeks.

Thanks for dealing with my long and drawn out post...

*Cliffnotes* Wanted approval for "played" out tattoo design.

2. Tron

Tron New Member

who cares if its "played" at least you are getting something that means something to you, a lot of people get tthe word for love, or honesty or whatnot, you're getting something to do with not only your childs name but your family history, i say go for it

3. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. I actually went to two shops today (Good Times and Lost Art) and booked an appointment for Saturday the 7th at 8:00PM! :noes:

The guy who helped me was a little less than friendly, but he also wasn't my artist. Anywho, I chose an artist based on his portfolio and I don't think it'll be too easy to screw up my tattoo (I want brushstroke), but you never know.

I also asked about having them incorporate cherry blossoms into the tattoo, so we'll see what my artist comes up with.

I can't wait...nervous, anxious, and excited! :eek4:

4. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Does anyone have any good pictures or ideas on integrating cherry blossoms by chance?

5. 58008

58008 Ron Paul!

a good tattoo artist would be best to ask this. that way not only could it be integrated into the characters, but also fit to your body.

6. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

google it and see what you find to get ideas. who cares if kanji is "played out" - does it mean something to you?

i have "love" tattooed on my lower back :o (i am getting some stuff added to it this fall since it's become such a trend to have something like that there :rolleyes: ) but i have my reasons for wanting it there and that's really all that matters.

i think your reasons are pretty fucking cool, but really, as long as you like it, rock it.

(when i first read this, i thought you were going to put it on your forearm, and i thought that would be really cool)

7. If you're chinese do it. I'm sorry that my people have stolen the coolness of this tattoo though haha.

Edit: Also I think that its ok because I always said I would never get words tattooed on me from a different language that I didn't speak. I love arabic script and I am taking classes but I would never get it on me.

8. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Yah, I agree and I'm really not too concerned as I know it's not a spur of the moment nor something that I saw on the wall that I just had to get.

I've googled pictures and nothing really stands out, so we'll see what my artist comes up with.

Here's a few examples (Mods, it's been awhile since I've been on OT and if I can't hotlink images let me know...):

I like this one:
    [​IMG]

My favorite so far...the far right and darkest red:
    [​IMG]

Random:
    [​IMG]

Random again:
    [​IMG]

9. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

:werd: asian type is played out, but if you're Asian who gives a fuck.

10. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

i'm dating an asian, does that count?:mamoru:

Idyfohu ~ i see what you're going for, but I'd definitely sit down with the artist and see what s/he can come up with for you/with you. what did you decide as far as placement?

11. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I'm having it on the inside of my left upper arm...along side my tricep/bicep.

I figure it's a good place for a first tattoo, it's a bit there and showing, but fairly inconspicuous.

12. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

that'll be different... i don't know anyone who's chosen that spot for a first tattoo. i'm interested to see it when it's done though. i think it'll look really cool.

can i ask why you want it to be inconspicuous?

13. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Actually, a co-worker of mine had his tattoo in the same spot and I really like where it was. Most of my t-shirts that I wear are about mid bicep, some a bit longer, so it will show for the most part all the time (unless I want to cover it up), but I didn't want it to be *BLAM* and in your face.

I figure for me, it's a good "safe" place for now for my first tattoo and if I'm still satisfied then I'll go from there.

:)

I can't wait, but I've heard that it's a bitch to get tattoo there.

14. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

OMG! Less than 24 hours and I'll be forever inked.

15. HorrorBusiness

HorrorBusiness Active Member

:noes:

16. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Shit, 3 hours...I'm going to take a nap and eat a little before.

I'm debating on taking some Ibuprofen (sp?) to help numb the pain on my arm...

Be a pussy or not...hmmmm. :noes:

17. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

don't. i never have for any of mine. i love the pain, though, so you might not want to listen to me :o

i feel like not taking anything keeps me totally present in the moment of the tattooing experience, but that's just me.

good luck, can't wait to see pics

18. jj1814

jj1814 New Member

In for update!!!!

19. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

20. Snoopy007

Snoopy007 #´・ω・)っ且~ OT Supporter

wú wén qīng :naughty:

21. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

So I have bad news...I was ready and anxious, woke up from my nap, was about to eat and got a call from the shop who said that my artist went home early cause he wasn't feeling well.

Damn it. However, I should be thankful that he didn't decide to work and potentially screw up my tattoo.

Kind of sucks cause I was ready and built-up, but I've rescheduled for next Friday at 4:30. Damn damn damn.

22. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Snoopy007...I can't PM you, but I have question...

Do you mind sending me your e-mail address?

23. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Ok, for sure tomorrow I'm getting this bastard done!

3:00PM, can't wait!

I'll post pictures when I'm done for sure! I also have to see how I like the integration of cherry blossoms, otherwise I'll stick with just the black characters.

24. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

damn i won't have internet access until next week :noes: - hope there's pictures when i get back :x:

25. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Well, I had it finally done. I had the artist draw up some cherry blossoms and although I liked the design, I wasn't 100% sure I liked the design so I said maybe another time.

I was nervous, but it all happened so quickly. It took maybe 20 minutes and wah-lah, I was done. I was expecting more pain, so it surprisingly wasn't too harsh, however near the very top was a bit painful. The lowest character looks and is a bit smaller, but it's true to scale to the original btw.

Overall it was a good experience and I can't wait to see how it looks when it's all healed up (how long does it usually take btw?).

Here's some pictures of it wrapped up for now...Yay! :wiggle:

Armpits are sexy: [​IMG]

Bad shot of it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007