Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NPH, Mar 27, 2006.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

I'm a little weary running anything "norton" on my system because of past experience with Norton antivirus products hogging all the resources and slowing down the system, but how does Ghost compare with Symantec's other products? Same shit?

I was thinking about reinstalling Windows in the next coming weeks and once I'm done applying all the hotfixes, drivers, etc.. creating a backup image so that I don't have to waste so much time with future reinstalls.

What would be best for the job? True Image or Ghost (overall functionality, performance, package)?

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

norton ghost and speeddisk are the only two products worth a fuck from norton

acronis is simply fucking amazing though

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

oh yeah, and don't "install" either of them on the system drive you're gonna copy, they boot from floppy (ghost) or cd (acronis)

4. NPH

NPH Guest

So I would need to create a different partition to install these products?
    Explain to me the typical installation/backup procedure if I wanted to back up my shit on say.. a DVD?

5. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

I used True Image twice with no problems whatsoever. I had it installed on my C: too, I didnt boot from CD. :dunno:

6. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about backing up on a DVD since I just ghosted the image onto another drive but it only took a few clicks. I would assume backing up to a DVD would be similar.

7. keleko

keleko yes, he is

install either app on a system, use the app to create boot media, use boot media to make an image of the system/drive that did not get the app installed on

i.e., you "need" 2 systems

8. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Acronis recovery disk loads MUCH faster than GHOST 9.0 and is more intuitive. Don't know about 10.

I love Acronis. It can also image while the computer is running. This is what I do for system backups. I have a backup rouine run once every 24 hours. I'ev restored countless times without a problem.

9. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i use ghost 9.0
    i had it on a floppy, but i used nero to burn it to a bootable cd. i reimage my system maybe once a once with it. works out great.

i'd like to try out the other one

11. NPH

NPH Guest

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd be fascinated to know how so many people have had problems with Norton Antivirus hogging all their system resources. I run it on every single computer I maintain (one for my mother, two for my father, another for the both of them, one for my brother, and two for myself) and I have no complaints whatsoever. I must be the only person who knows how to configure it properly, or something.

- - -

I'd use Norton Ghost unless the computer has an SATA hard drive. For some reason, Ghost doesn't have SATA drivers.

13. NPH

NPH Guest

Norton has always increased my system boot time on different computers.
    Another annoyance was the noticeable loading when opening the main app window, again same thing on different computers. Almost everyone I've asked online seems to experience the same thing with Norton.. sluggish performance compared to other apps that do the same thing.

I've had this problem with Norton's Systemworks, Internet Security Suite and the standalone AV software.

I was curious if Ghost suffered from the same thing or not.

- - -

I have a SATA drive, so I guess that's that.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Ghost works with SATA drives.

I've used it for years, I love it. But I've never tried the other one.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Once a once? That's not very often. Why bother with the hassle of making a bootable CD? (grin)

16. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

whoops, ment to say once a month.
    floppy disks suck. they stop working when you need them most...plus alot of pcs i work on don't even have floppy drives anymore