Norton Ghost Alternatives?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Aug 2, 2005.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

So at work we use Ghost to spread an image across 3-4 machines at a time. We purchase Dells and configure them as POS systems and what used to take me a few hours of setting up now takes one hour and 5 minutes to zap the image over to the other machines.

The problem is that Ghost wants you to purchase it for each machine you use it on. I'm not installing Ghost on these machines, just using it to throw the image on.

What I want is an alternative software to use, maybe something Linux-based is available. Basically I don't want to be "breaking the rules," we've only begun using Ghost and it helps so much but I can't justify ~$200-300 extra everytime I want to duplicate a hard drive.

The biggest thing I find is USB support, I need it.

Any ideas?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Oh yeah, we use Ghost 2003 -- supposedly the last Ghost that uses DOS to write and restore images.

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

PowerQuest Drive Image? I don't know what their licensing looks like, but maybe it's more forgiving than Ghost.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Isn't that the same as Ghost now? I think Symancrap bought both programs and just recently put out a new version of Ghost that's really just a screwed over version of Drive Image. Sad.

I just heard about a program called Drive Snapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/) you might want to check out. There's also Acronis Image at http://www.acronis.com/.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

you could set up UI (unattended install) with the images you need.
    Thats free as Windows will do it natively.

6. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member