Norton Corporate quarantined a file that doesn't have a virus. How to get it back?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ace3, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Windows Server 2003
    Latest Norton Corporate

It updated its definitions this afternoon, then decided that "srvany.exe" was a Trojan Horse (in the system32 folder). This file basically lets you pick a program to act as a service. It's used by countless virus writers, so it's a bit of a touchy program. However, it is available by Microsoft.

We're running Peachtree as our office accounting system, and Peachtree uses the Pervasive SQL engine to run. When you install Peachtree (which has been installed forever on that server), it installs the srvany.exe file, and makes a registry edit to have it automatically started as a service.

So, now that Norton found it as a virus, it stopped the service, and now our accounting system doesn't work. That's obviously a problem.

So, how do I get norton to leave "srvany.exe" alone, so i can rebuild the service and get Peachtree to run? I know we don't have any viruses on this box.

:mad:

2. RiSk

RiSk New Member

have you thought about re-downloading the file and replacing it?

3. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

what a pain.

decided to tell Norton to exclude the system32 folder, re-download the apparent virus-laden file, then just excluded that one file from Norton.

Followed the instructions here to basically re-create the service.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197

we'll find out Monday if it worked. :x:

4. Sphere

Sphere New Member

And what the hell would you call Norton? I've had a pile of viruses that caused less damage&slowdown than Norton.