Norton AV update error

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CHiEFTAiN, Dec 21, 2004.

1. CHiEFTAiN

CHiEFTAiN New Member

i get this message when i run Live Update:

LU1806: LiveUpdate was not able to install any of the 3 updates that you selected. For more information please click the "+" sign next to the update(s) that did not install. All available updates were selected. Click here for more information on this error

i went to the symantic site to try to fix this but everything is so confusing. is there anyone that can give me more simpler instruction on how to fix this?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stop using norton.

Switch to something cheaper and more effective. AVG comes to mind.

3. CHiEFTAiN

CHiEFTAiN New Member

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

www.grisoft.com

AVG Free Edition... As the name indicates, it's free. It also kicks the crap out of norton in terms of being faster and more effective against viruses.

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Yes, AVG is very good, but should supplement Norton, not replace. There are some viruses that Norton detects that AVG doesn't, and there are some that AVG detects and Norton doesn't. Use them together. Also, Norton scans faster, but AVG uses less resources (can do other processes without really noticing the scan in the background).

As for your Norton problem, not sure if it could be their server. You may want to try again in a few hours, or tomorrow.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

AVG 7 scans much quicker than norton -- and I've never had norton detect something that AVG hasn't. In fact, AVG has won several awards for the past 5 years for not missing any viruses in "gauntlet" tests.

I never install norton-anything... horrible stuff. Well, I take that back. Ghost is good. the rest is crap.

7. MrMan

MrMan New Member

While I agree that I prefer AVG over Norton, I would still keep it aside.

[font=Verdana,Helvetica]------------------------------
    ------------------------------
    Out of many reviews, there are very few that stated this. This means that AVG is very good, but do I really want to fully drop one virus defense? I would rather not take my chances and experience what these two reviewers are stating.
    [/font]

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

is that using AVG 6 or AVG 7?

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

stop using the norton consumer line crap. symantec corporate a/v is awesome

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

NAV is terrible. Symantec in general is slow getting updates to their clients. Here's an example: We had a 0 day virus get past our email system not long ago. I was with another consultant at the same customer site when we both recieved the email with the virus attached (we knew it was a virus when we got the emails.) My TrendMicro product had updated about a hour before and caught it. The other consultant was running SAV (Norton corporate product) and it took 24 hours before an update that would detect the virus was available.

Then there was the 48 hours they took getting a def for "I luv you" for their exchange product. Can't tell you how much fun THAT was.

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

symantec makes the a/v definitions available on their public servers on a different schedule than if you are a large corporation with dedicated support. if we have a problem with a new virus, symantec will assign someone to work with us personally and deliver a solution ASAP

12. MrMan

MrMan New Member

They didn't specify. Since we can't know, the more we should be cautious.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, but most of us are not a large corporation... therefore, consumer-grade norton a/v is crap... I don't see where you disagree with me.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That still doesn't help the average joe (i.e CHiEFTAiN). Next time I get a chance to see something like this again, I'll call into Symantec (I work for a partner, and have access to their support) and see if they can provide a private update.

The point is TrendMicro had the definition, publically available, 24 hours before Symantec.

I like their corporate product, it's fairly easy to manage (compared to other products) and plays well in the enviroments I work in. I most definatly recommend it over Mcafee. However, for a home user, TrendMicro is just a better product.