Norton Antivirus and NON-Administrative user Q's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Silent, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Silent

Silent New Member

Is it possible to Run Norton Antivirus 2004 Professional with NON-Administrative Accounts? Seems that the program installs and updates fine on admin profiles, but as soon as you switch to a non-admin profile, it won't update and gives the following error:

Anyone know what I can do to bypass this? We're using Norton Antivirus Pro if that makes any difference.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Haha stupid Norton. The last version I used (2001 or 2002) wouldn't LiveUpdate for ordinary users. Great! The whole idea of LU is that an admin can install the program and let it update itself since users wouldn't know how or would forget. But noooooo.

You might try running regedt32 and setting permissions for all Symantec/Norton keys to allow a users access. I don't remember if I tried that or just said fuck it and used a different AV prog since I was already tired of Norton's crap by that point anyway.

3. Silent

Silent New Member

I'll give the corporate edition a try to see if thats any different.

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Norton does some silly things - I would remove it and switch to AVG (which is free and better IMO) but if you don;t want to do that why not temporarily change the accounts to administrators, log on and let the installation finish, reboot, and return the accounts to their original settings. That *should* work :dunno:

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...Document&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no