GUN North Texas Crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LancerV, Jan 30, 2009.

1. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

What ranges do you go to? I live in Denton, even the ones 20-30mins away from me suck. No FMJ on rifles (there goes shooting any surplus rifles)at one and the other has hours so fucked up. Like 1-5 on Mon, tue closed, 2-5 on Wed, Friday 1-5, Sat 10-2

Looking for something decent within 45mins

2. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I go to Bullet Trap for pistol if I'm going to shoot indoors. It really sucks since Backwoods Traps was bought and closed down. Next I was going to Collin County Gun Range in McKinney, but of course they are closed... and right before I was scheduled to take a carbine class there.

I've been told that Elm Fork (down on Luna between LBJ and Northwest Hwy) now has a tactical bay that allows full metal jacket and is EBR friendly, but I would call them and check first. I haven't been down there in a couple years, when they installed the huge metal culverts on their rifle range to shoot through.

I've been thinking about going out to Jacob's Plain in Greenville. They hold alot of IDPA and USPSA matches, so I was thinking of getting involved in that.

I went to North Texas Shooters Association up in Sanger, but of course it's a private club and they have a 2 or 3 year waiting list. Looked like a decent place to shoot, but nothing all that impressive.

Since we're this far out, the best thing is to find a friend with land. I have a coworker that live due north on 289 (Preston Rd out of Frisco)... almost to Sherman. He has about 10 acres and had a dumptruck drop a load of dirt on his property to use as a safe backstop. We shoot skeet/trap in his front yard and then I can do pretty much whatever I want with the rifles and pistols thanks to the backstop.

If not for a friend with land, I'd go crazy since all of our ranges (that are left) out here suck.

3. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I'm pretty sure David_4x4 lives in the Denton area ... I'd be curious to hear where he goes to shoot the NFA toys :x:

4. LancerV

I really need to find someone with land

I was looking at Elm Forks pricing and
    http://www.elmfork.com/rangefee.html
    So does that mean if I bring more than 3guns they charge me another $5 per a gun :wtf:

5. LancerV

6. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I live in Denton and I go to Gibsons in Mesquite.

He's been a friend of dad's for years. He still allows FMJs and allows us to shoot our NFA stuff.

But the distance fucking blows.

There's a private range north of town my dad belongs to, I think it's NTSA or some shit. They allow anything but MGs and still allow FMJ. I just dont shoot enough to spend the money for the club.

7. LancerV

Not to mention that club has a 3yr waiting list now

We should have a North Texas Meet :h5:

8. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Fuck a bunch of a waiting list for a range that'll probably be closed in a couple years.

9. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I shoot almost exclusively at Tac Pro out in Mingus since I'm an RO out there. Occasionally at The Shooting Gallery in east Fort Worth if I just need to shoot pistol and since we have a company membership there and it's right down the street from the shop.

10. LancerV

You work at Tac Pro :bowdown: The 1000yd range how does that work out there? Looked online but couldnt really find much info on it

Does Gibsons allow rapid firing?

11. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I believe on the pistol range they limit it. Not on the rifles.

12. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Haven't been to Elm Fork since before the great flood of 2007 and the rebuild. I stopped going there because the RO's were assholes and the conditions were mindlessly strict.

13. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I really only "work" there for range access lol and I like helping run the matches. We have a great relationship with the owner through the company I do work for. To shoot on the 300-1k range you have to be a member or be there with a member, to shoot over 500 or 600 you have to pass a qualification that basically just shows that you know enough to be able to keep your rounds on the range. The membership I believe is $200 or $250 the first year and then $100 a year after that. It lowers the range fee to $5 bucks a day and gives you 20% off all of the classes they offer, plus gives you access to the 1k range.

14. LancerV

Should bring along some of DFW crew :x: And get us in free :o