A&P North Philly Graffitit Wall (no pics yet)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

speaking of graffiti, what are the rules for shooting other peoples work.

I used to live across the street from a pretty famous 'permission wall' in North Philly.

I just heard that they're going to be tearing the wall down to build condo's...

On one hand, the area can really use the development, and I hear that the condo's are being done by a fantastic company and will be 100% green - solar panels, waterless sewer, etc... Which is great.

But this wall is badass. I LOVE it.

I've already shot a TON of it, but I wanted to go back and do some sort of proper piece of work to remember the artwork on the wall.

So where's the line that's drawn between photographing others peoples art and having it become your art?

Any suggestions on a way to shoot it that would be as a tribute to the work and the artists, and not like i'm trying to rip off for use their art to my advantage?

Oh, and here's an article on it:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/15487

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I've seen pics of that wall never knew where it was...they want to build condos in that area now :rofl: good luck with that they won't stay nice for very long :mamoru:

3. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

My college has a graffiti wall...its pretty cool.

If you are shooting from public property and the wall is in plain sight (IE if this thing is in an alley that is city property) you can shoot all you want. That includes shooting the cops who are telling you you cant, or the artists who are territorial. I understand they might not want their work shot, but the law is if it is visible from public property (even if it is located on private property), or is on public property then you are in the go.

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

i'm not worried about the legal side, i'm pretty good with that. I haven't had much trouble even shooting bridges and gov't buildings. Once the cop knows you're not a threat, and if you're not dressed like some sort of asshole, its not a big deal...

I'm more worried about the ethical side. Not to mention I'm not sure that taking pictures of someone elses artwork = your own artwork...

Just wondering what you guys thought...

5. limestoner

limestoner New Member

graffiti is an inherently attention-seeking endeavor, so i believe spreading this person's art to a wider audience than the neighborhood would be appreciated by the artist, as long as you're not trying to pass it off as your own.

6. Yodelayhehoo

Yodelayhehoo OT Supporter

Your question could be better addressed if you told us what you planned to do with your pictures of the wall.
    If you plan to put them in a book to sell, that might not be right.
    If you plan to take them and post them here or take them, print it and put it in your house there shouldnt be a problem. If you post them on your site just make note where it is and that it isnt your orig work.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Thanks for the response.

I don't know, thats the thing...

For some reason I have some sort of connection to this wall. I can't explain it, but I didn't realize the importance it had to the graffiti community for a long time, and even without that it spoke to me. I've been randomly shooting it for more than 6 years now, just because I loved it.

I have a few oppurtunities now where I can get some publicity, in the forms of magazine spreads i've been asked to do, and gallery shows I have access too. Both of which I can determine the subject...

I have thought about using my photographs from this wall for that.

I have also just thought about shooting it one last time, the right way, for me. Just to have it before it gets torn down. And possibly AS it gets torn down...

But as it is important to me, I want to make sure I don't ruin it by overstepping some artistic rule...

8. Yodelayhehoo

Yodelayhehoo OT Supporter

I think if you portrayed it as a tribute to the changes the wall have made over time, you're in the clear. If I were an artist that had contributed work to that wall I would be honored to have it published. I think a last photoshoot before it's torn down would be cool too. It's all about how you present it. If you just put the pics out there it might be looked at as overstepping. If however the names of all your shots are "Permission Wall 1994", "Permission Wall 1998" etc... You should be cool... post the pics!