norm HD vs raptor HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Smork, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Smork

Smork Active Member

How much of a difference is there? Really noticeable? worth the price? for gaming etc?

2. Mugen Yarrr

Mugen Yarrr New Member

Not worth the cash for the noise and heat. I'd rather get two larger HDDs and put them in RAID for the same price. It is kind of noticeable if you boot windows a lot (it'll be a couple seconds faster) etc etc.

My 7200RPM 250GB is plenty fast for me, I'm always one of the first in CS:S maps etc etc, so I see no need for a raptor. I used to RAID the 250 in my last setup, and honestly, it's not much different (I gave one to my parents since I have 500GB now for storage).

3. fsd

fsd New Member

2x36gb raptor in raid0 for os/games drive > your 250

4. Mugen Yarrr

Mugen Yarrr New Member

Meh, not really. You aren't getting the speed boost from the raptors, though, it's from the RAID. My 250GB isn't much slower than the older 36GB Raptors.

I would GLADLY take 2x250s or 2x500s over ANY raptor setup, simply because you get A LOT more space and you usually pay A LOT less, not to mention the noise/heat factor as I said before.

Raptors are good, but for most people they aren't worth the extra money.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

GTFO. Just GTFO. If you're actually recommending that someone use a RAID0 as their OS drive, then you need to leave and never come back.

RAID0 CANNOT FIX ITSELF IF IT CRASHES, AND YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA! Period. Use RAID1 or higher, at all times, under all circumstances, whether you want to or not. If you can't afford a third drive, don't set up a RAID in the first place.

That said, I have a RAID3 with 3x 74GB Raptors, and I'm quite happy with them. The noise is more than most people are used to, but it's by no means intolerable. It just chatters when it's seeking data.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

a lot of people do it just for the sake of performance.
    (e.g. gaming rigs with the only critical data is a saved game)
    the intelligent ones pair it with a backup strategy.

7. deusexaethera

There is no perceivable performance gain with RAID0 compared to RAID5. The only added expense is a third hard drive, which if you're even in the market for a RAID, is inconsequential.

8. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

this is just stupid. There are plenty of applications where RAID0 is perfectly fine. I personally use RAID0 on one of my linux systems that virtualizes cisco routers for a lab environemnt. I have no need nor do I care about data loss as the data is just simple text files that I already have a copy of elsewhere.

If you are going with something like 36GB 15K RPM drives its nearly an extra 1K for the redundancy which is not needed.

You need not make stupid ass blanket comments like the one you did above.

9. deusexaethera

You are aware that you could use a RAID1 and still have double the read speed of a single hard drive, right? You'd have half the space of a RAID0, but then, as you said, all you're storing are text files.

So unless there's some other consideration you didn't mention, there's still no reason for you to be using a RAID0.

EDIT: Where the hell are you buying your hard drives from that a single 36GB SCSI drive is running you $1000?

10. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

They do not run this expensive anymore, but originally the price was up there. I think now the 147GB seagate 15.4K runs about 1K.

The write speed of RAID0 is higher then that of RAID1 which is good for the dynamips ghostram feature (read once, write quite a lot) and since all the writes are mostly in very small chunks there is much better performance out of RAID0 then that of RAID1. RAID0 also requires extra OS threads to read from the secondary disk with added CPU performance (albeit not much) but when you are virtualizing 20 routers this can still be an issue.

I should note that the OS itself is on a seperate disk as is the swap file.

11. deusexaethera

Ah, right, you're using *NIX software RAID. I'm talking about using either an onboard or an add-on hardware-based controller, preferably with its own XOR unit. They cost what? $30 now, for the kind that a desktop computer could benefit from, anyway?

EDIT: Alright, I'll revise my generalization. It's okay to use a RAID0 to store a pagefile, or whatever other type of virtual memory your machine uses, because since memory gets erased whenever the machine crashes anyway, the instability of a RAID0 will not be an issue. Aside from that one caveat, however, there is no other reason to ever use a RAID0 -- ESPECIALLY to store your operating system and/or personal files.

12. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

the SATA raid controllers are fairly cheap nowadays.

My comment was not saying that RAID0 is an excellent technology to use, but simply to state that it has its applications and that blanket comments such as "GTFO, if you use RAID0 you should DIAF" is incorrect.

13. deusexaethera

Actually, what I specifically said was "GTFO. Just GTFO. If you're actually recommending that someone use a RAID0 as their OS drive, then you need to leave and never come back." I did go on to exaggerate the importance of avoiding RAID0, yes, but my original objection is still correct.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you should see some of those rigs.
    most wouldn't even consider a third drive as an option.

some prefer lightweight cases (w/ only 2 hd slots) so they could carry it easily to lan parties.

some even remove the hd cages so they could fit in pumps or whatever for water cooling.
    the hard drives are either in custom enclosures,... some even have them hanging by strings.

whatever floats their boat I guess :dunno:

15. Mugen Yarrr

Mugen Yarrr New Member

A lot of GAMERS do use RAID0. I don't, but the problem of losing data is a moot point, because I reinstall Windows 10+ times a year. I tweak a lot of stuff and go through driver changes and constantly monitor nearly every part of my system. Sometimes, the best performance increase is simply reinstalling Windows though, because it DOES slow down over time. It just gets clogged, unfortunately.

But I still stand by my original statement, the original poster would likely benefit more from a larger "slower" drive, considering the new 500GB seagate drives are almost as fast as Raptors anyway.

16. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I loved my Raptor, but didn't go that route again, instead I went dual harddrives on RAID0.. I game..

17. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I don't game much. With that said when I upgraded from my 7200rpm drive to my Raptor I noticed a substantial gain in windows and program load times and also file transfers. To be honest I don't think it is all that much louder, it does put off some more heat but it's the only drive on my system so thats not much of a problem.

18. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

I love my raptor.

Raptor 150 > Raid 0 250g drivers hands down.

RAID0 for their OS logical drive is for idiots, as someone else already mentioned.

19. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

I think Jolly and deus swapped accounts.

20. NCS

NCS Active Member

buy one small scsi drive and use it for your OS. fast as hell.

21. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Why because the risk of array failure? I don't have anything I really care about, I will just reinstall everything.

22. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Sure then go for it, but as I said Raid0 of 7200's isnt really any faster then a 150g raptor.

23. deusexaethera

There are a few things I'm as hardassed as Jolly about, and one of them is RAID0. Why? Because I stupidly set up a friend's machine with one and then he lost five years of documents and photos a few months later. Irreplaceable. I felt like such a douche.

24. deusexaethera

Do you have any idea what a complete waste of time that is?

25. deusexaethera

Easy. Make a RAID5 or RAID3 with SATA laptop drives. It's trick, it's fast, it's expensive, and it's small. Everything a gamer could ask for.