noobe BMW 850 questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by n2ojunkie, Nov 26, 2003.

1. n2ojunkie

n2ojunkie Guest

I would like to start out by saying hey, Iam kinda new around here just started posting.

I was lookin gon ebay a couple of weeks ago and found a really nice 850I 6 speed. I didnt get it but it got me looking for as much info on them as I can find. I see theres alot of differnt models I, CI, CSI? not sure of the other ones. What are some of the difference in these cars? I see the later ones have more hp but other than that?

I have always owned american (please dont start, Iam from MI and thats what we make here.) I remember seeing one of these on the cover of MT in 90 when they first came out and wanting one then, but being in the service and haveing a family and makeing less than 10k yr, there was no way. Now that I have a little more $;) I would like to get one.

What are some of the things I should look out for when buying one?

Thanks.

2. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

i heard they are pretty bad. a lot of problems, and so they get kidna expensive to own. i forgot exactly what problems they have. but u shold definetily look into it before u buy one.

3. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

all bmws are expensive to own :) as are most higher class german cars.

4. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I don't know much about these cars either but welcome to the forum:big grin:

I would go to www.roadfly.org and check out the 8 series forum. These are 8 series owners and should be able to answer all your questions and help you make a good decision. :bigthumb:

5. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Go for the later years. And if you still have your family, check out a 95-01 7 series. IMO, the perfect BMW.

6. n2ojunkie

n2ojunkie Guest

Thanks alot guys, I'll check that site out and see what they have to say.

I like almost all of the BMW's but the 850's the one I want. I know its not the fastest or anything even with the 12cyl but I just like it. I have a couple of different family cars I could use (1st gen SHO) still in really nice shape, and runs great, and a 03 vibe. I really like the 7 and 5 series but just cant have it all;). Thanks again.

7. n2ojunkie

n2ojunkie Guest

I called:big grin: Its $400 at the BMW dealer around here.

8. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

The 8 series had alot of problems, thats pretty much why they are so cheap now. Like most high end european cars they need to be maintained, and tuned. They might be expensive to keep up but it has some of the best lines around, and if u can find one in a six speed manual, it can't be beat. :)

9. n2ojunkie

n2ojunkie Guest

They told me for a tune up, I assume its parts/labor. They told me they were known for oil leaks also.