noob xServer questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kmad86, Aug 16, 2008.

1. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

I just picked up an older G4 1.33Ghz xServer off ebay and I honestly have no experience at all with them. All I want to do is basically set it up and be a file server for me (Throw files on it that I can access from anywhere). Will this be hard to set up? What all will be required? Will there be a monthly fee?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No monthly fee. User limit based on which version of OS X Server you have. Install OS X Server, connect keyboard and monitor to setup initially and then use Remote Desktop to administer from that point on. Win.

3. kmad86

So I assume that it isn't something that is hard to catch the hang of? How do I get a link so I can access it outside of my local network?

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

It's not hard to set up. You'll need to set up port forwarding with your router. I would highly recommend using a manual IP address with the Xserve rather than DHCP so you're not constantly changing your router settings.

5. kmad86

I am confused as to how I will access this server from say a friends computer. Do I just type in my ip address in the browser? If so, how do you not run into issues of having the same ip address as somebody else since there are so many people in this world.... I hope that makes sense.

:o noob at the website/server stuff

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

do some googling on Network Address Translation and Port forwarding.

or have a read of this, replace everything that says ICS with "your router", and Microsoft with "smelly poo poo"

7. kmad86

This thing came in... I am so lost :( I plug it up and it just seems like normal 10.3 to me. If I don't want to pay the ridiculous fees my ISP wants for a static ip then what are my options?