GUN Noob trying to get into pistols

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Diesel4mee, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Diesel4mee

Diesel4mee U.P. > L.P. OT Supporter

So i usually shoot skeet and after a hairy event this past year i applied for a CCW in my state and was granted it. I would like to get a pistol for carry. The only time i think i would really carry is in my car, in Detroit, and when im out in the woods.

So here is the problem I want to buy a pistol for carry but i have a feeling i want to use it for target shooting more seeing i really like target shooting with my shotgun. My hands i wouldnt say are small but i havnt found a double stack mag gun that fit yet im 5'8" 175. I have shot a sub compact glock, a full size glock, sig 226 and a bunch of revolvers. I plan on going shooting again next week and will be testing out a usp and a 1911 i think the range has a kimber.

SO im not really partial to any caliber yet but was looking 40/45 for the most part. The reason i think if i could target shot with it i will practice more with it and get better at shooting. if i had a little gun with like a 3 inch i think i would get tired of shooting at 7 yds. I know that you cant shoot at someone past 7 yards anyways.

Kicker is i have 300$ at cabelas to spend so if they have the gun that would be nice

2. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Get a 9mm. Then practice more.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

how about 1 of the small glocks with single stack mags, should make a difference for smaller hands :dunno:

4. Diesel4mee

Any recommendation of good 9mm that is single stack

5. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

Kahr makes a single stack 9mm. Trigger pull is long like a revolver. Not all that heavy, though. I believe CZ also makes a compact single stack.

6. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

For starters a 3 inch barrel does not relegate you to shooting at 7 yards. Secondly, how small can your hands be? My wife doesn't have a problem handling any of my guns...

7. lump

lump New Member

Can you carry in detriot?

I may be thinking chicago.

8. Diesel4mee

I was saying a carry gun isnt gonna shoot well at 25 yd. I missed the point that my school has a range that a few of my housemates go to and they have competitions.

You can carry in all of Michigan

9. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

A carry gun will shoot fine at 25 yards...I can tag milkjugs at 40 yards with mine.

10. BLH

BLH Member

No, most people can't shoot a handgun well at 25yrds, it isn't the carry guns fault.

11. Diesel4mee

OK well then i guess ill be not testing out a 1911 and maybe trying the glock 36 and maybe a PPS?

any thing i should know about the pps i have shot a p22 but i doubt this is that close to it

12. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Never shot a PPS but I like them... Nice and slim, nice trigger.

13. Diesel4mee

Im not really stuck on 45 i just want a caliber that is easy to find and cheap and also maybe in a caliber i might purchase other guns in. Granted both 9mm and .45 are both that. In my class they told us to fire the biggest we can shoot well with. I cant see a reason why if i get a gun that fits my hand well not to be able to handle .45. This may be a bullshit reason. But my housemate says that if you shoot a bigger bullet the chance you snag the next ring in the paper for points.

14. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

45 is a lot more expensive than 9mm and harder to find.

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Agreed. 9mm is a great starter, and for a lot of people it's still their carry caliber. It is for me personally.

And for the record I shoot my PF-9 (3.1" barrel) at 9ft, 21ft, 45ft, and 75ft on a regular basis. I do better at longer distances with a 4-5" barrel, but it's not impossible to hit at 75ft with a 3" barrel...just a lot more challenging which makes it fun. :)