Noob School 101

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Solstar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Solstar

Solstar New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to modding, but I really love cars, and I finally have a car worthy of modifying. I was wondering if all of you vets would give me some serious tips and pointers on where I should start. I wanted to start on my engine and I've just added CAI. I was thiniking of a CatBack system next. Wheres the easiest place to start, and what could I do for cheap? Appreciate the input. THX

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Listing the engine you have would help....

3. suspended

suspended New Member

Traditionally, if your just getting into cars...number one the post above me would really help, but your mainly gonna wanna start with the basics...intake, header, exhuast, then from there work on other things such as fuel/spark mods, more air intake, etc etc...but once again, it really dpeends on what kinda car/motor that you have...then from there, people could also probably help you out with different sites to get the parts from and what is reputable for that car

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

If you just wanna rice then get some catback, and some intake, and some header.

In order to actually get gains you need to be a bit more selective... determine what it is you're aiming for - decide whether you will go for n/a power or forced induction, whether you will go as far as cams or internals or just surface level mods, etc. - and then choose parts that will complement each other.

This process is of course highly specific to the car and engine.

5. Solstar

Solstar New Member

I see. I see. I just have a 92 Accord. I guess its a 4 cylinder, and I know its rice, but its what I got...
    Here's what I know so far about cars:
    1. Be careful what u get on eBay
    2. Don't install crap you know nothing about

I know so far (Intake, Exaust, Spark plugs & wires, and thats basically it)
    I suck so let me know what your thoughts are. :bigthumb:

6. suspended

suspended New Member

not nec. rice, just a start towards a nice solid n/a buildup..yes, after that you can worry about throttle body, intake manifold, cams, pistons, valves, boring blocks, etc etc......but since he said he was a noob...you've gotta start some place, i dont think anyone just jumps in and starts a full motor build up as a noob (n/a or fi)....

i've seen a couple of nice 92 accord actually, theres one here in jacksonville, that i fall in love with everytime i see it....you can do some clean japanese styling with it along with a decent motor setup. For that kind of car, I would highly suggest checking out honda-tech.com, just beware, some of the people over there can make some OT'ers look soft :noes:

but as stated above, did you wanna stick with n/a or go boost? and are you going for a full balls to the wall car, or just something nicer then stock?

7. Solstar

Solstar New Member

i think I just want an upgrade from stock for now. I don't need to hit the racing scene or anything. I don't have enough experience. Even if I was fast enough, I'd probly still get embarrased.

8. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

suspension for better handeling and lower ride height is what I would do first. Then maybe rims, then hit up the power mods (intake, exhaust). Unless you plan on swapping out the engine in the future for an H22 Prelude motor, you're kind of limted on the go parts. Focus on ride quality, style, and sound.

Oh, and I'd be careful on Honda-Tech, most of them are idiots who just regurgitate what they hear from someone who doesn't know shit from their face. I personally can't stand how often the same damn questions are asked there. So please search before asking. I just avoid that forum these days, got too frustrating.

You may even get more support from specialty forums like ClubSi or ClubRSX even in terms of helpful people. Good luck, have fun.

9. Solstar

Solstar New Member

Thx for the good input...

10. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Yeah but if you want any gains you still have to get parts that work with each other. Even if you're just doing i/h/e if you just stick random parts on there (even "good" random parts) you're going to end up with anything from a 5hp gain to a 10hp loss.

Lightweight pulleys would probably make more of a difference than anything else. The F22A isn't gonna breathe but so much better than it does stock, it's a standard econocar lump. If I were you I would freshen up the suspension with new springs (good linear ones if there are any, not Eibach junk), AGX or Koni dampers, and poly bushings and upgrade the bars, keeping proper balance in mind. That will give you the most enjoyment per dollar.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  11. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Oh, it seems that there were two different but extremely similar engines for the Accord in '92. The EX got one called the F22A6 making 140hp while the other trims got the F22A1 making only 125. The differences between these motors (all in the head I think) would be worth looking into.

If you have an EX then this is moot, but it's a good thing, as there appears to be some enthusiasm for the 'A6 in certain circles.

12. project15

project15 New Member

Ah, I loved my old 91 accord sedan. Don't rice it out. Just lower it and get a SUBTLE body kit if you want a little updated looks.

For performance, the exhaust won't do much by itself. I would start with an air intake. It'll make it sound a little better from the driver's seat which will make you "think" there's more power. :)

13. Solstar

Solstar New Member

sounds good. I've never really liked the kits too much, maybe just lowered with a nice lip or two. :)