GUN Noob reloader question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gchang817, Nov 16, 2009.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

i collect speer gold dot 124 gr +p+. i am using a dillon 550b. i can seat the bullet all the way into casings without belling the case in station 2 where the powder die is. i can just place the bullet in caing by hand. is this normal/okay?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It should be able to be done but should be kind of tight. Are these fired cases that you resized in station 1 or just fired cases you have done nothing with yet.

If it's a resized case it should be snug enough that when you seat the bullet in station 3 that it is held at the desired over all lenght and does not drop down past that to say the level of the powder.

The belling just makes it easier to have a bullet balence/sit on the case mouth as you raise it into your seating die

Most 9mm bullets are .355 in diameter. These will slide easier into an unbelled case as they are smaller in diameter. You can thus use less bell when you reload. There are also .356 diameter bullets and they are much more snug thus need a tough more bell. Many times the .356 bullets are listed as 38 super bullets and generally that what I use as they are tighter in my bore and shoot a touch more accurate. ex the 125gr zero is .356 diameter. Some of the light bullets such as 90gr are really .380 bullets and can be .354. While these can be used in a 9mm you have to be careful to avoid shorties. A shortie can be a over presured round as you can imagine.

3. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

i am using montana gold, so .355 in diameter. the casings have nothing done to them. it take slight pressure to push it in if i bell the case very slightly. would it be safe to not bell the case at all? would that just shorten the life of the case? i have not started to reload yet, still finishing up some reading. i just set up the press.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

when the round is fired the case opens up a bit to make a seal in the chamber. So what your experiencing sounds normal. After you resize the case it should be tighter and thus needing some bell on the case mouth for the bullet to sit on as it goes into the reloading die.

Of course the less bell you put on the case the less you stress the brass. I would not worry about it and put a decent bell on it. If your loading standard velocity 9mm your probably going to lose the brass before you wear it out. Worst case is that you'll split the case as you fire it. It will fire as normal but when you go to reload the case the next time it'll be split at the case mouth and you won't reload it. If you did reload it anyway it would not pass the case guage

When I load molly or lead bullets I have to put a lot of bell on the cases so it does not scrape when loading. Really don't worry about it. You'll have to load a few rounds to get a feel for what is normal.