Noob Questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bugman, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugman

bugman Demonic Gecko OT Supporter

Yes, I read all the stickies up top

I was just wondering, right now i am about 5'8" 145...So basically im really skinny. Im going to start eating a lot more, but thats not what my question is about

When i start going to the gym, do i need to do the same amount of weight every time i go the gym. Like what i mean is if today, i use a machine and can do 80 pounds, should i stick that until im comfortable and then move up weights like every week or so.

Or is it ok some days to do more weight on a machine, then the next day go back to the lesser weight

I only ask because some days it seems like i have more energy and can do more weights, but i dont know if its harmful to then, the next day go back to a lesser weight

hope this isnt too confusing :noes:

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

the easiest way is to pick a routine and stick to it... say it calls for:
    Flat Bench - 3 sets x 8 reps

Pick a weight that allows you to hit 6-8 reps without failing. Once you can get 8 reps for all three sets, add 5-10lbs and start again. Add weight once you can get all 8 reps again.

note: this is highly simplified, but for a noob this is a good approach. The goal is to keep adding weight to the bar.

3. shastaisforwinners

It is ok to vary the weight you use somewhat, since you aren't always going to have the same energy level in the gym. However, progression in both strength and size is made by adding weight to the bar over time. Keep a log so you can track progress.

4. bugman

Thanks, ill try that

going to start going to the gym tomorrow, so well see what happens

5. shastaisforwinners

go easy for the first week or two, don't just do whatever routine you have exactly as outlined. Do maybe a third of whatever it calls for. You will be sore when starting out. Work on using perfect form, leave your ego at the door. Don't be intimidated by bigger guys, thinking they are secretly making fun of you for lifting light weight - the aren't.

6. bugman

Thanks again...I dont have a routine yet though, gotta find one or make one....i think theres one in the sticky somewhere, so ill look for that

I remember last year when i worked out for a bit, i would get sore, so im ready for that all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.