noob questions about bulking

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by interstate, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. interstate

interstate New Member

1- Are there different types of calories? I know that a calorie isn't an actual "thing", but a unit of heat, but is there a difference between calories from a chicken breast and from a candy bar or soda? I don't know alot about nutrition..

2- Is it difficult to bulk (i'm skinny and tall) in a healthy way? I need to consume ALOT of calories (well, alot for me) to bulk up, and it seems like the only realistic way is by eating some junk food.. i'd like to remain eating somewhat healthy, but if i have to eat some dirty food, i can. I just don't want to destroy my health doing it..

3- Should I do any aerobic exersize (jogging, etc) while bulking, or should i not do that and just lift?

4- What are some ways to work my legs out without a gym membership? im about to go part time at work and go to school, so im not going to have to money available that i used to for a gym membership..

I've been lifting and working out on and off for a while, and ive seen some, but minimal results.. I just decided to get serious about it, so now i'm trying to make a good effort to get some more muscle mass on my body..

2. SteveO

SteveO Guest

to answer all your questions, goto a gym and eat a lot of food and yes do cardio

3. interstate

interstate New Member

that didnt answer all of my questions.

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

yeah it did

keep on reading over it

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

got a couch? squat it :)

6. interstate

interstate New Member

So a calorie is a calorie, no matter what type of food is consumed?

Are squats all I would need to do in order to build leg strength? I dont know much about lifting, especially the lower body..

7. blang

blang lang

i recommend the stickies as well. also check the archive forum

8. interstate

interstate New Member

yeah, i checked the stickies and archive before i posted.. the question about the leg exersizes was an afterthought, though.. i found some info on that.. my other questions werent addressed... btw - none of the stickies in the main forum (main F&N forum) address beginner bulking questions.. there only 1 for toning..

9. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

10. interstate

interstate New Member

i read that.. it didnt answer any of my questions.. I guess it sort of answers #2, but i was hoping for input from different people on ehre to see wht they had to say about that..

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Ughhhh. A calorie is a calorie, calories out > calories in = lose weight, calories out < calories in = gain weight. That being said, different macronutrients have different roles in your body, protein is for muscles, carbs for energy, fat for hormones/immune functions/etc. Further, a simple carb will cause an insulin spike while a complex will digest slower, complex carbs are "healthier". You want to eat unsaturated/monounsaturated fats and avoid saturated/hydrogenated. You want to eat a balanced diet and get your minerals/vitamins.

12. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

www.fitday.com should help you out with your calorie related questions

13. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

beat me to it.

14. interstate

interstate New Member

thanks, thats what i was asking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.