Noob Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RedDawg, Jun 21, 2006.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be getting my permit soon, tried to go yesterday at lunch but the DMV line was too long so i'll be heading there saturday to get it. Just have a couple noob questions. What do you all wear on your feet, i've bought gloves already, going to try on helmets today after work, and deciding between leather jackets, but what do you all wear on your feet? Are sneakers ok, just tuck the laces in? I plan to ride to work a lot where i wear dressyish shoes. Also, those that ride to work what do you do with your hair? I know that probably sounds very metro-sexual but i meet with clients a lot so my appearance is important at work, can't have sweaty helmet hair all day.

2. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

It's recommended that you wear something that atleast covers your ankles. Im guilty of riding with sneakers.
    Shifter will mess up your nice dress shoes.
    Stay away from mesh jackets as you prolly read in other thread, leather is the way to go
    Helmet hair does suck, but ya cant do anything about it.

Good luck man

3. RedDawg

Ok i'll prob. just end up packing a backpack with shoes then, definetly going to go with a leather jacket after reading the other threads.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not a whole lot you can do about your hair, bring your comb to work with you, I keep my hair pretty short so I dont have much of a problem and my helmet has excellent ventilation so unless its a real hot day usually doesnt really get sweaty. As far as foot protection, riding boots are best but unless I'm wearing my 1pc suit I just wear work boots

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I have two sets of shoes. Yeah I normally have to wear dress shoes to work also but I was able to get away with some timberlands I found online. They are all black and dark grey. Pretty conservative looking with hiking style soles. I wear these in the summer. They look good also with slacks. As for winter I'll throw on my Timberland workboots. They are oil resistant so no slips in case I step in any while at a light. Oh yeah I bought the Tims online with a 40% holiday discount they had during christmas so I was able to get both for under $100.

and the hair....buzz it. Two guard in the summer and three guard in the winter.

6. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

i mach3 my head so i dont have a helmet hair problem :o

7. RedDawg

have a link to the black timberlands?

8. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I did this for two years.

Get yourself some good riding boots. Icon makes some nice ones if you don't wanna got for the full out race boot look.

Pack a backpack and give yourself a few extra minutes to get ready. I use to rock jeans and boots to work, then change into a suit when I got to the office. Did the whole hair and tie thing when I arived.

If you wear your work clothes, you'll enjoy picking dead bugs off them all day. And when your in business clothing, that isn't the best thing to do.

9. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

this is what i was going to say. why dont you store a pair or two of shoes at your work place and then change into them. and the dead bugs does sound like it would suck

10. RedDawg

this is probably what i'll end up doing, i already keep an extra jacket at work incase i have a random meeting, might as well throw an extra shirt or two in the work closet also. I shouldn't have too much of a problem sweating on the commute, i only live 1.5 miles from my office :bigthumb:

11. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

im guessing that 1.5 will turn into 10-15 soon

12. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

:rofl: werd

13. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

OH BTW Don't buy workboots or Timbos, they are horrible for riding. shifting is very hard with boots, you cant get under the shifter easy. Unless you can find boots that arent wide or high by the toe.
    There are companies that sell shoes for street riding.

14. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

:hsugh:

15. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

That is not completely true. The hiking boots are perfectly fine. Timberland has many sneaker like shoes with better traction on the soles. Don't get me wrong nothing will beat a company that specifically designs shoes for motorcycles but I have yet to find anything that is comfortable or decent looking for work. Regular sneakers suck because on top of your toes is normally just some mesh type stuff (depending on shoe of course) and it hurts your toes while shifting for a long time.

I cannot find the same exact color or model of my shoe and it does not say the model anywhere. This shoe though was in the same category just that mine is mostly black and dark grey. Just to get you an idea.

[​IMG]

http://www.timberland.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1779707&cp=1779791.1761081.2150754

Also what good is that the top of your toes does not get worn out. These are built pretty tough. I've had mine a little over six months and my left shifter shoe is not even worn out or faded. For any low top non-moto shoe I would recommend similar type of shoes. I'm not praising Tim's but I use them and it works for me and it was cheap. A friend picked up some hiking boots and a local sport shop also that he got for $30 that works well.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I never said that this was the recommended solution simply because I know that ankle support was very important. I use my timberland work boots also but it get very hot in the summer. I'm just suggesting it for those who are looking for a sneaker like shoe. It's just like those who want to wear textile jackets, though leather would ultimately be the best, I am just giving suggestions to the alternative.

18. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I don't know, its not just me but all the guys I ride with agree that work boots or timbos freakin suck.

19. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Don't get me wrong I understand what they are referring to. The steel toe variety especially suck. Though very possible it just takes some getting use to shifting. Timberlands offer a variety of different boots steel toe and non steel toe. The hiking boot solution is always a good way to go, whether its timberland or not. Timberlands workboots are good only because of the slip resistent material on their sole. This is one of the main reasons I chose it. I had some other boots that I used for paintball and it slipped on areas with oil or even water.

20. trez157

I use Timbo work boots, they arent bad at all. Maybe Im just used to them, but they dont bother me at all. But of course, riding boots wouldnt be bad. I do like the Icon ones, because they dont look too aggressive. IBbuckocomesandbashesIcongear

21. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

If it doesnt look like this...

[​IMG]

Or this...

[​IMG]

Or this...

[​IMG]

Or this...

[​IMG]

Or this...

[​IMG]

Or....well, you get the idea.

Its not worth wearing while riding, IMHO.

Anything that isnt designed for riding, shouldent be worn while riding. Thats my safty oppinion. Of course that doesnt mean YOU have to do that, you can wear whatever you want.

But personally, id rather hav somthing that will protect the bones, ligiments and skin of my foot and ankle from road rash, twisting, bending backwards, crushing under the weight of the bike, or any other numerous things a proper boot will protect against, then take a chance on coming out of a crash with a stubb and a set of cruches.

EDIT: Please ntoe i didnt bash ICON gear. I personally wouldent wear them. But if i had a choice between the ICON riding boots or a set of Timberland boots...id take the ICON's. So take that for whatever you think tis worth.

22. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

:werd:Only way to fly.....

23. trez157

I can honestly say I am shocked:o