Noob question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilabeez0, May 22, 2006.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

I used my HP system restore.

My problem is I cant access secure websites, download anything, run firefox, pretty much anything. I keep getting errors that only an administrator could fix. I have no windows cd. My current hd is 30gigs with 21 used up.

I would like to upgrade to a bigger hard drive. I would also like to purchase a windows XP cd so I dont run into problems like this in the future. I dont feel comfortable doing this on my own, so I have a few questions.

1. Should I keep my old hd as a backup?

2. What kind of hd should I buy? I dont play games, basically just use the net and crap.

3. Do i need to buy a new windows cd or should I just have a professional install it for me with my new hard drive?

Please dont flame. I porked myself doing a system restore for what was probably an easy fix. Now I just want it fixed right and it seems like the right time for an upgrade anyway. I believe I only have 250mg of ram also. Any suggestions or a point in the right direction is very much appreciated.:sadwavey:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

2) just go get a seagate PATA drive. Whatever size you want to use. if its under 120gb it's no problem. If it's over 120gb itll work unless it's a really old system.

3) get a CD cheap, and use your existing key. I assume you have one?

3. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

no i dont have a key, that is why i want a new cd. where would i find one "cheap"? so any 120gig hd is compatible? what about the way it connects aren't there different kinds? sorry i'm such an idiot.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Sometimes you can find the CD only on ebay, but that doesn't incluse a cd key. If you're buying a hard drive, you can buy an OEM copy of windows, which you can find for around 90 bucks. Check www.newegg.com for the hard drive and windows.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, if you need a key do NOT buy from eBay. Losts of illegal auctions going on and OEM keys are NOT transferable, anyway.

www.newegg.com for both hdd and coa. Remember : Seagate.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There are two standards for connecting the kinds of hard drives that you're likely to ever come across: PATA (also known as ATA-100 or -133, or IDE), and SATA. You can buy adapters to convert between the different types of plugs that the two standards use, but on the whole it's better to buy a hard drive that uses the same standard as the one you're replacing.

Besides, for casual use, a PATA hard drive is fast enough as long as you keep it clean. I prefer Norton Speed Disk for defragmenting because it sorts your files according to how often you use them, instead of just defragmenting them and leaving them in random order. Windows Defragmenter doesn't do that. Moving the files around on the drive, as Norton Speed Disk does, also helps prevent losing data from demagnetization of the hard disk platters due to age and heat (hard drives get plenty hot nowadays).

- - -

Your office might be willing to buy you a license at the (slightly) discounted price that Microsoft gives to big companies, but then again they probably won't be that generous. It's worth asking the IT department once, just to find out what their policy is.

EDIT: It is my understanding that older versions of Windows XP don't support hard drives bigger than 137GB (or 150GB, as they're labeled on the box). If you want to use a hard drive bigger than 137GB, you need to make sure your new copy of Windows XP is updated to include Service Pack 2. It's highly unlikely that any reputable vendor would sell you a pre-SP2 version of Windows XP, but if you decide to buy from eBay despite all the advice against it, you need to make sure this won't be a problem.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

to correct (again) deusexaethera...

do NOT buy norton. Ever.

Offices do not get MS Windows at any discount unless its a VLK, and then it can't be used at home (legally).

When the XP disc was stamped does NOT affect HDD size. SP2 can be added on any production XP release.

8. deusexaethera

Not buying Norton is an opinion. You're entitled to it, of course, but I like (parts of) the SystemWorks suite.

Service Pack 2 can of course be installed after the fact, but a pre-SP2 install CD may not be able to handle the full size of a >137GB hard drive, and so he could be stuck having to have two partitions instead of one if he somehow gets schnookered into buying a pre-SP2 install disc. As long as he buys from a reputable dealer, he'll be fine. And it's not even an issue unless he spots a good deal on a huge hard drive and decides to buy it.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's not even SP2... SP1 supports large disks. Good luck even finding a pre-SP1 disc.

As for you liking SystemWorks I leave you to the mercy of OT. We have had MANY bashing fits over asshats that recommended that. I have personally had to repair countless machines due to the damage directly resulting from THOSE products. I had no respect for you, so there was nothing to lose. Let me just say that you're not helping yourself recommending it.

10. deusexaethera

I know perfectly well that a lot of people don't like Norton. The only parts of the SystemWorks suite that I do like are Speed Disk and WinDoctor, and WinDoctor requires a hell of a lot of caution to use. Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is a decent AV program, but I wouldn't use the consumer version bundled with SystemWorks. And when I get my hands on a computer with Internet Security (a.k.a. Norton Anti-Productivity Suite), the first thing I do is get it the hell off there.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

too bad you can't actually remove it completely.

12. deusexaethera

I can if I reformat the thing, can't I?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reformating is not removing a norton product... it's reformating :rolleyes:

this is *exactly* what I was talking about when I say you spill some incorrect non-sense, I correct you, and you then create some unlikely fictional circumstances, which, when viewed from this unlikely perch, it looks like you *might* have been right.

Sorry, no.

14. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

local PC place told me $65 for 80gig, $75 for 120 gig, $85 for 150 gig. And windows for $65. All prices are installed. He told me I would get the windows recovery disk with my purchase, I'm not sure if thats what I was looking for. Any help?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

doesn't sound right... 150GB drives are nearly impossible to find, and $65 for windows sounds like an illegal copy.

16. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

might be used stuff i think he said. either way, would there be anything wrong with a used hd and an "illegal" copy? PLEASE no flame just answer the question.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, very wrong.

NEVER EVER EVER buy a used hard drive. Stupidest used purchase, ever.

NEVER buy an illegal copy of windows. You basically threw your money away and paid for something that MS is gonna tell you is stolen. If you're a fucking theiving cocksucker, steal it straight up. Paying for someone else to steal it is lamer than the asshats that steal in the first place. Not only do you break the law, but you actually paid money to do it. :greddy:

18. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

I dont think you need to be so vulgar but I get it. I didn't have the work done, I made a phone call and those are the answers I got.

19. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

ok help me answer this. i want to buy my own new hard drive and windows cd. if i dont feel comfortable installing it when i get it i wont. please tell me how to check my PC for what kind of hd is compatible and the same with ram sticks. I can take my computer apart no problem and look at the board. maybe i'll open it and take a pic and post it???

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for hard drive, tell me which cable your hard drive currently uses:
    [​IMG]

for memory, turn the machine off, open it, discharge your static charge by touching the metal of the case, then remove a stick of ram. Post the information listed in the sticker on the ram.

21. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

i will crack my pc open after work. thank you for the help so far. i'll post back later on.

22. deusexaethera

RAM can be hard to plug back into the motherboard. Make absolutely sure that the notches on the RAM stick line up with the keys in the RAM slot before you start pushing hard. Also, push the RAM back into place right at the ends of the RAM stick, not in the middle. The ends of the RAM stick are where most of the resistance is; pushing in the middle could break wires inside the circuit board, or worse, make the RAM stick flip sideways in your fingers and crush something else in the process.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you cannot be fucking serious?!?!?:ugh2: :ugh2: :ugh2:

24. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

haha, you fuck'n guys. anyway it has the ribbon cables. It says 40 gb on the back but when i right click my c drive and check properties it only says 30. I only have 2 ram slots and on the stick it says....shit i took a fucking picture of it and my camera wont read it. let me open it again.

OH and the most important thing is I found the factory windows XP sticker on the side of the case with the key code. I also found I have service pack 1 installed. I believe it was built in 03.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Okay, if you have the COA, you just need the CD. You should be able to get that free/cheap at any local computer shop. If anything, get someone to burn a copy of an XP OEM cd (SP1 or newer). It's legal because you have a legit COA.

As for hard drive, get a Seagate PATA drive (IDE). Whatever capacity floats your boat. You can find 250GB+ drives for close to $100.

Need to know more about your RAM to make a recommendation there.