GUN noob question: how do you shoot a shotgun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KetchupKing, May 11, 2009.

1. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

Just shot one for the first time, and damn that was heavy. I can shoot it just fine, but I can't imagine having to hold it up for more than a few minutes at a time.

I was taught to have the stock push into my armpits and hold it up with my left arm stretched out, basically holding the weight. In this wiki page, it looks like the guy is holding it with the stock over his shoulder and with his left arm much closer to the body. I can only presume he knows how to shoot. So was I taught wrongly, or are they both correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benelli_M4_Super_90

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

3. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Shoot it the way that is most comfortable for you and that you can shoot it accurately and handle the recoil. :dunno:

4. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Pull on the locked action while you push on the rear grip, whether that be a pistol grip or a standard grip.

Shoot it like a rifle.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Shooting a shotgun is like shooting a rifle with a fair amount of recoil. Your technique has to be on point.

There are two ways to mount the gun. There is the more traditional quartering off and the new school squaring up.

I myself quater off the shotgun.

[​IMG]
    You shoulder the gun with either elbow up or elbow down and point the shotgun at a 45 degree bias. You generally have your lead foot in front of your back foot somewhat in line with the gun. Elbow up or elbow down is a preference thing. For me elbow down feels more natural and less fatigue holding the rifle up for extended periods. In a tactical situation it also makes yourself a smaller target. The elbow up creates a better pocket to shoulder the stock. It places the stock on the shoulder muscle which is better for managing heavy recoil. When you quarter off the stock tends to rest on your collar bone which you can imagine can be unpleasant with recoil of consequence (full house magnum slugs).

The new school is to square up.
    [​IMG]
    Your standing with shoulders square to the target. The shotgun stock goes on your pec muscle (your chest). This stance is very odd the first time you try it but it is probably the better stance for practical shotgun shooting. First you have the most stable platform for managing recoil. Your feet and shoulders are more or less square with the target (think punchers stance). The stock is in your chest not your shoulder which means more mass to manage recoil, no need for elbow up to create a pocket for the stock. You can also run shorter stocks with this stance.

With both stances you should bend at the waist and lean into the gun. I tell people to get in a stance similar to what they would do to throw a punch. Bend you knees and get up on the balls of your feet. As you transition from target to target make sure you move your feet. Unlike pistol or small caliber rifle you have to have good footwork. While you can trunk twist and piviot on hips and knees with pistol, doing this with shotgun can hurt you. The recoil of the shotgun can turn you in recoil, twisting and tweaking your back or shoulder. We see this at 3 gun matches where a new shooter has targets arrayed out in a creasant in front of him. He plants his feet and shoots the target on the far left, works his way to the middle, then to the far right without moving his feet. As he twists his body once he gets to a point that recoil works against him something has to give. It's usually the shoulder. Hove your feet and keep your body behind the gun.

I don't do any kind of push pull (pushing with the shoulder against the gun, pulling the gun into the shoulder). It's outdated thinking rooted in the obsolete weaver stance from pistol. It just creates more tension on the body which does not translate into accuracy or speed. Use the leverage of good technique to manage recoil. These techniques will feel awkward until you train and condition your muscles to use them. Nobody starts out being able to hold a gun on target for extended periods. With much practice it just becomes natural and you can hold a gun at ready, or on target for several minutes at a time.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Not off of your bicep like this guy

[​IMG]

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl::ugh::rofl::ugh:

8. bobotech

bobotech New Member

How the hell did that guy get a bicep bruise like that? I have shot tons of heavy ball in a single day though a m44 Mosin and never got so much as a bit of a red shoulder.

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Looks like he was holding the wrong end.

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

How the fuck did that happen?

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

looks like he has health issues, on top of being stoopid.

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shooting-tips/2009/04/petzal-cautionary-hematoma-tale

This nauseating injury occurred halfway through a sporting clays match. The owner of the hematoma was shooting an inexpensive 12-gauge over/under, and about halfway through the match felt something very bad happen in his shoulder and upper arm. What he felt was a) a torn upper pectoral, b) torn upper bicep, and c) mangled rotator cuff. Not to mention all the nifty purple blood underneath the skin. His right arm is largely useless and will be for a while.

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Can women utilize that stance without being in too much pain?

14. Laurel

Laurel New Member

No, not unless they're asian and don't have boobies. Mine aren't that big and I can't even shoot ARs comfortably against my pecs, I just move the butt over so it's inline with the outside of my boob just on the inside of the centerline of my armpit. It might not be ideal, but there's no way I'm taking shotgun recoil against my tits.

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

That makes me really not want to shoot my 870 :noes:

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Interesting article. I could see some of how it was bad technique. As everyone knows one real good way to hurt yourself is to use bad technique.

I do not think it is 100% technique, or the gun. A lot of it is probably teh stupid. The guy probably is new to shooting sporting clays. He must of been taking a beating but decided to try to push through. Mounting the gun sloppy, not moving his feet as he swung from one target to the next. His body must of been telling him. "Hey stupid this shit hurts". Some people are pre disposed to injury. That is a nice way of sayng they are frail, or text book wussy. I think the average person who were to try to shooting a sporting clays match with same equipment and lack of technique would at most be pretty sore and maybe some minor bruising.

Moral of story. Learn proper technique. Listen to your body if it tells you something is wrong.

17. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

This. I had shoulder surgery and recently tried to shoot a shotgun with birdshot. Shot one round an was like fuck that not healed enough yet

18. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What about 223 recoil, is that painful?

19. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I just saw your title lol

I recently (2 months ago fractured my chest) Should I stay away from my 870? I've never shot it.

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

that hematoma looks like it was weeping blood.
    ouch. fuck.

21. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It's not painful, it's just uncomfortable. It's difficult to get the gun to sit anywhere near level when it's butted up against a sloping surface without squishing your tits. The discomfort of having your boob smashed isn't worth it, and I have trouble concentrating on other things when I'm trying to make sure the gun stays in the right spot. :dunno:

22. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Yea I wouldnt

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

24. bobotech

bobotech New Member

What I don't get is what is the difference between shooting an inexpensive over/under and shooting an expensive version? The article mentions that is one of the reasons for the injury. An over/under isn't like a gas gun which has moving parts which absorb a lot of the recoil unless it has something like a Knoxx recoil stock. So to me shooting a cheap one vs shooting a pricey one won't make much of a HUGE difference unless you had a special recoil stock in it.

25. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

nicer ones are heavier, have better balance and are more solid.