A&P noob question about black and white

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by slow_one civic, Apr 1, 2004.

1. slow_one civic

slow_one civic ULEV ownz me OT Supporter

I just picked up F717 and was wondering what's the best way to take black and white pictures? I don't know if there's a black and white mode on the camera (pardon me if there isn't such a thing). Is there a simple way in photoshop to do so? Or does it take some work to get them to look good?

2. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

There is probably a black and white feature on your camera, it'll be in the menu if it has one.

If I'm not mistaken though, there's a "rule" that you always shoot in standard colour, and if you want effects (negative, sepia, B&W etc.) then you make changes in Photoshop or similar. What's to say you won't take a pic on the cam in B&W mode and then wish later you had the colour version?

I have heard of people tweaking levels when converting to B&W in PS, but I'll leave this for someone with knowledge to explain, as I've always just converted the image to 256-colour grayscale and done nothing else. I'd be interested to know what tweaks are good to do also.

3. slow_one civic

slow_one civic ULEV ownz me OT Supporter

Having done a quick google search after posting this thread, I read that i should use the Channel Mixer in photoshop. I got better results by using that instead of just converting it to Grayscale mode.

Any other input would be appreciated :)

4. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Hmm, I might try that myself!

5. actually the best way to change your photos to black and white is to go into adobe photoshop. go to ur layer box and click the half black half white circle (adjustment layer or fill) go to ur levels. Now go through and correct for coloring. The best way to do this is go through your R G and B channel and bring the far left and far right arrows to the point where the histogram begins on each side. After that click ok. Then go to the circle again and go to channel mixer and press on monochrome.

If you didn't go through the adjustment levels, your picture can be too dark and have too much "noise" in it. This way also, ur picture will be color correct. After you have gotten the image to look the way you want it. Flatten the image Layer>Flatten Image you will have it complete.

Also, when you correct ur levels, the picture will become most of the time lighter. More detail will come through.

Good luck :)

6. Glennhuricane

Glennhuricane New Member

white = lenny, black = carl