Noob Q: What is the purpose of running one or two subs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mds2004, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Right now all I have is a clarion mp3 deck, CDT EF-61CFi/20 components, and an amp for the speakers. Now I am deciding on which sub(s) to get and the amount of subs to purchase.

I am unasure if I want one or two subs. Why do people buy two subs instead of just one or one subs instead of 2+?

My goal is a 10" SQ sub. So for SQ would one or two subs be best? Are two subs only to obtain the loudness in dbs?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

2. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

2 subs are basically for loudness, SQ is not obtained by 2 subs.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

u get about a 3 DB increase per additional sub of same make.

if u want SQ get a 10 inch IDMAX

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Yes, only purpose of multiple subs is SPL.

5. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Actually, that is the sub I have been looking at.

Thanks everyone for the information.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Sure it can be. I've listened to several very high end setups with 4 subs in each.

7. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

what are you guys talking about not being able to obtain good SQ with multiple woofers. The sound isnt going to change with the addition of the same woofer, there will just be more SPL.

Mds, many times people use 2 subs because people buy more low end woofers to save money and use a pair of them instead to get desired output.
    On the other hand people like me prefer to use a single super-sub. Something like an ID IdMAx, Adire audio brahma, Stereo integrity magnum, JL W7. these can all handle loads of power and have awesome sq.

8. veonake

Well, I never said you can't have high SQ with multiple woofers, but the PURPOSE of having multiple woofers is never SQ, only SPL. The sound will change a little bit, because even the same model is not an exact clone, and not to mention if you have them firing at angles that intersect, etc. that can cause wave interference. But, you're probably right if you meant there probably won't be much of an audible change.

9. denim

denim New Member

unless the enclosure is not very wel built the difference in sound quality will be nearly unnoticable

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Only reason I went with two subs is becasue I am in a town car. It just wouldn't feel right to have one sub in the trunk of a town car.

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

what about a town car makes you feel the need for more than 1 woofer.

12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Partly because its just so big, and come on now. Its a freakin boat on wheels. It should really have 2 15's to be a real pimp car. But thats not the real reason, even if it did play into it a little bit. Becuase the gas tank is right beside the subs, and they are about 12 feet away from where I am. There would be better SQ with just one, but not something that I would notice. It was cheaper to get the same *noticable* preformance to get two subs instead of one. Im sure the SQ would be a little better with one better sub, but I would never hear it. I got a really good deal on my subs, so I couldn't turn it down. If I was in a hatch or something, I probally would have gone with just one sub. But if the damn things are in your trunk, SQ is going to be hurt from having to go thru the firewall, and the seat, and in my case, a gas tank.

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

3 DB is all your going to get by adding one sub.

If you have a 15 inch brahma with a dynamat trunk kit doing like 1200-1800 watts thats all ud need.

You could always cut ports in ur seats and fire wall :x:

They dont have to play through a gast tank, your only concern is for the sound going thru ur rear seat.

Due to the shape of bass waves they are often louder if you are farther away, that's how you can hear them from 4 blocks away so 12 feet is going to make a difference.

14. veonake

What? Sound is never louder the farther away you get? Maybe you mean that low frequencies have the tendency to propogate further than high frequencies?

(The exception being an ultrasonic device that resonates inside your head to produce sound, that can be transmitted from a distance. Read about it in pop-sci)

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Oh yeah I meant distance, whoops. Since the wavelength is longer they will go for much longer distances, the point I was trying to make is due to their wave lengths 12 feet shouldnt make a difference. Atleast not a big one.

16. veonake

True, not nearly as much as high frequencies do, since they go through many more cycles for the same distance as you are saying. But, the wave will be modified and attenuated through barriers either way. The less things in the way, the better (I'm sure you know that).

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Well, my car was free, and it had an amp in it, but no subs. I went and got two 10w3 in a box for 275 brand new with a two year warrenty. They were usually 220 each when I got them, and that was without a box. I didn't want to go and get one really big sub that my amp couldn't push, so thats what I did. One 15 might be in my near future though.... or 4 12's.... (puts on flame suit for the 4 12's)

18. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Well, would there be a significant difference in sound between 1 IDMAX 10 and 2 IDQ 10s? Both are around the same price. I am just looking for a nice sq sound. If it matter this is in a 1996 2 door Yukon. Would the one IDMAX be sufficient to how much space there is to fill in the vehicle?

Again I am aiming for sq but also enough sub to be loud enough with the rest of the music. I am more of a rock/alternative/classic rock and roll person. I do like music loud to an extent. I want to be able to understand the words fine, I am not fond of blasting music I cannot hear where it because racket.

Thanks again, Mark.

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

For a pure SQ setup one IDQ 10 would do fine in a normal-sized non german car. My friend has one IDQ 12 in his STi and it gets plenty loud. The advantage of the IDMax is its ability to maintain great SQ @ high output.

20. 04

04 Guest

I'd say that the 2 IDQ 10" would probably be louder. They would also take up more space though. If you have enough amplifier power, and the IDMAX costs about the same as 2 IDQ's, then I'd say go with the IDMAX. Otherwise, the 2 IDQ's would work great.

21. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I dont really mind on the space as this is an SUV, however more space would be perferred. Also I am going to choose the amplifier after I decide on subs to make sure I have the correct amperage(sp?), Would the IDMAX be able to play with the louder music? I do not need it to be deafening or ear piercing.

Is there a significant difference in sound quality between these two Image Dynamic subs?

22. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

Well, what do you want? Sound quality, or sound pressure level? Any sub setup can sound "loud", but how loud do you want?

23. 04

04 Guest

The sound quality difference between the two would probably be small, assuming youd design quality enclosures for each. The IDMAX would be able to play quite loudly.

Have you considered a 12" IDMAX? IIRC the price isnt too much more than the 10", and it would get a bit louder.

24. denim

denim New Member

if SQL is your function the MAX should be the one IMO