noob needing to lose a lot of weight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by NUTWEAVE, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NUTWEAVE

NUTWEAVE New Member

First, I've read all the stickies. I've learned a good deal of information from them. Some of it is a little overwhelming and I don't fully understand.

Now to give you a little background on my situation. I'm about 5'10, 260'ish pounds. About 4 years ago I was ~240 lbs and went on the Atkins diet. After about 7-8 months on it, I lost 30 lbs and felt great.

Then about 2 years ago I had an accident that pretty much left me home-ridden. Since then I've gained all the weight back and more. I'm obviously very out of shape and eat poorly.

Anyways, instead of trying Atkins again, I am pushing myself to work out. I have a treadmill, total gym (lol), and an ab-rail. Basically I want to lose 60+ pounds and get cut/toned. What would you recommend as far as routines for what I have? Access to a gym is out of the question at the moment also.

cliffs: fatty needs to lose a lot of weight and get toned. Need advice on how to reach that goal.

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

so you didnt read the stickies did you

3. NUTWEAVE

NUTWEAVE New Member

yeah, i did. here is some excerpts of what i could find:

Cutting (losing fat)

Are you fat?

To lose fat (hence get the fat off your abs so you can see them) you must bring in less calories than you are using in a day. If you are cutting you should intake about .85 X your maintenance calories or 2890 in the example above.

Generally it is advised that you Cut no more than 500 calories below your maintenance level. If you try to starve yourself you will make it harder to lose weight.

Keys to losing weight:
    Lift weights to pack on some muscle to jumpstart metabolism.
    Manage diet effectively by cutting out fats and in some cases carbs, and lowering caloric intake.
    Cardiovascular exercise.
    Commitment. Dedicaton.

I also went to some of the sites with tutorials. i'm admittedly a noob, never worked out in my life (besides gym class). i'm just checking to see if i have everything straight.

basically just burn more carbs than i take in, stop eating fatty/greasy/fried food, and do higher rep/lower weight exercises?

4. Plan B

Plan B New Member

burn more calories.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Burn more calories than you take in. Track it and don't be lazy.

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

As far as a workout program. Cardio and some lifting. Do the stickied routine at the top of the forum as best you can with your total gym (I have no idea if that's even possable.)

You might want to look into something like body for life if you're a total noob and don't even know where to start. It can be overwhelming.

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

use fitday.com to track your calories
    burn more than you eat
    Lift + cardio

pick a routine from stickies and go to the gym, don't make up your own shit cause you don't know what you're doing, pick and do a routine that fits your goals for strength/fitness

get the calories you eat from good sources, like chicken rice veggies etc, not fast food, cakes, candy etc. 2000 calories of MnM's won't help your workouts and muscle recovery much.

Work hard, sit less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.