Noob needing a complete detailing plan v.Scottwax help

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by D_Nice, Oct 13, 2005.

1. D_Nice

D_Nice Super-Moderator Super Moderator

Ok here's the situation. I just got another car and honestly it needs some tlc inside and out. I live in an apartment complex, so I really won't have much shade to work with, but luckily the weather isn't really warm here anymore.

I need a full breakdown of what I should probably get to really do this car well. If possible, I'd love to keep the full package to about 50 dollars or so. I don't know how realistic this is, but if I should really be spending more, I would do it. I would need to buy everything, from buckets, to rags, to towels, to all sorts of products for a cloth interior, vinyl dash, black paint, painted wheels and for the tires. The car is a black 01 celica if that helps at all.

I really didn't know what to search for to see if my situation has been asked before. Instead, I read back about 13 pages or so clicking on every thread that seemed to apply, but nothing really seemed quite right. So I guess I just need help with a plan and what I should get to do it all.

Thanks for any help you guys can give. I'll really appreciate it and get some good before and after pics.

2. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

honestly, in your position I would get it professionally done. It will make a BIG difference to get it done right the first time, especially from seein the pics of that celica.

Once it's been repaired by a pro, so to speak, it would be relatively easy to take care of the paint with less products from there on out.

3. D_Nice

it's really not as bad as the pictures show. The paint really doesn't look bad at all. The car is a bit dirty from some dirt and rain that we've been getting for nearly a week straight.

The interior needs some serious cleanup and I would really rather not pay like 100 dollars to get it detailed if I could possibly do it on my own for less than that. Not to mention, paying someone to detail it still leaves me needing to buy all the stuff to keep it up. I'm really just trying to keep costs low, because I really can't afford to pay too much.

If it's completely not feasable for me to do it on my own, I'll look into having it done professionally.

I may be a noob at this, but I can follow instruction well and put in the work and time needed to do a good job.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

With a budget of $50? Not going to happen. PC and pads alone (necessary to bring the paint to as close to new level as possible) will run you around $175 or so. Lowes has the Porter Cable 7336 for $109 and Excel (www.exceldetail.com) had pad and backing plate packages that are very reasonable. I'd suggest a cutting pad, 2-3 polishing pads and a finishing pad. One quart of Optimum Compound, one quart of Optimum Polish (both of which should last you 3-4 years), a final glaze like Clearkote's Vanilla Moose and since you have a black car, I'd go with either Poorboy's EX Sealant w/Carnauba or Clearkote's Carnauba Moose Wax. You will also need about 10-15 quality microfiber towels (excel again, or www.pakshak.com)-just get a package deal that gives you an assortment.

The product list has all the 'tools' and interior detailing information you need.

Trust me, lay out $300-350 for the PC, pads and above mentioned products and 2-3 years down the road, your car will be worth $1000+ more in resale if you detail it regularly. Plus you have the satisfaction of driving around an '01 Celica that looks better than most brand new ones. :)

I'd also suggest going to http://autopia.org and downloading the detailing e-book.

5. D_Nice

that sounds fair then. I won't be able to do that right away then, but I'll save up a bit to do it right.

6. D_Nice

Ok could I get away with something decent for 150 ish and do it by hand rather than with a PC

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you omit the PC, pads and Optimum Compound, yeah but it won't be as good as with the PC...but still better than most cars you will see after a detail.

8. D_Nice

assuming that. What do you think I should get, and would any of this stuff be available locally?

9. D_Nice

I think one of the most important things for me is going to be getting the interior looking right honestly. The cloth needs some serious work. As always, bonus points for things that I can get locally, so I can work on it this weekend.