noob looking to get a system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nygiantplaya, Jun 14, 2008.

1. nygiantplaya

nygiantplaya I

:) im a noob at this but i got some money and i wanted to put a system in my car. Now i dont know ANYTHING about systems but i am looking to get a Good Sub or maybe even two depending on what you all recommend, a good amp and anything else you guys recommend. Oh and should i get new speakers too?

2. nygiantplaya

nygiantplaya I

oh and i drive a 2008 cobalt 2 door if that helps anyone and my budget is really anything (not super exspensive though). yes yes laugh at my car, but im not a baller OT.

3. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

What is super expensive. We could recommend $2000 front door speakers.
    We need a peak, or target price when all is said and done.

You are looking for probably the following:
    Head Unit
    Front Components
    Rear Coax
    4 channel and mono amp or 5-6 channel amp
    sub or subs.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you might consider keeping the factory head unit. it looks nice in the cobalt.

5. nygiantplaya

nygiantplaya I

I was planning to keep it as long as I can hook the system up to it, and I am looking to spend around $1000 total

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes you can hook up to the factory head unit. Just need a LOC. Should be under $20 at any car audio place.

$1000 should get you a great system for daily use.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you plan to upgrade everything, I'd look into one of the high end convertor/processors. Something like a Memphis 6ix, RF 360 or JL Cleansweep. Many OEM headunits have circuits built in to reduce bass output at higher volumes.

8. nygiantplaya

nygiantplaya I

ic, idk anything but when i turn it up like 3/4 of the way the bass is loud as fuck so idk if it really reduces the output. but what do ik!

the only thing is the head unit looks nice i wouldnt really wana take it out.

9. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

newer factory decks are not as bad as say 5 years ago and older... being this is a cobalt, i doubt there is much of a rolloff.

10. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Since you are going to use the stock HU

I would buy 1 roll of dampening material ( shop around ) but I recommend RAAMmat BXT http://www.raamaudio.com/ 120.00 + shipping

Also buy some ensolite MLC ( same company ) 50ish dollars for 5 ish yards

and 2 cans of glue 20 bucks

Dampening is going to do the absolute biggest bang for your buck and will make even your stock system sound infnatly better, its going to lower road noise, and annoying vibrations.

so 200 bucks spent
    ----------------

When it comes to speakers you get what you pay for.

Since you're on a modest budget I would recommend

POLK MOMO mmc 6500 for your front stage ( ebay.com ) 150.00 to your door

the sound pretty good, get pretty loud and are affordable, the also have the added benifit of being marine certified so they will live long happy lifes in your doors where moisture is a problem.
    --------------------------------

350.00 so far

-----------------------------

subwoofer single FI Q 10 " www.ficaraudio.com ( 250.00 to your door )

This is a SQ ( sound quality ) Woofer

1000w RMS

600.00 so far

--------------------------

amp

elemental designs nine.5

its a 5 channel amp but your only going to be useing 3 of the channels, you will have 2 channels free if you decide to upgrade to a second set of components in the future.

100 Wrms x 4 @ 4 ohms
    600 Wrms x 1 @ 1 ohm

350.00 to your door, ( on sale because they are discontinuing them, but don't let that scare you away they are still backed by eD's 5 year warrenty )

www.elementaldesigns.com

-----------------

that leaves you 50 bucks for the odds and ends. Provided you are competent with a tape measure, and basic carpentry tools you can build a decent box for 50 bucks ( probably less )

Throw in another 50 for a amp wireing kit and misalanous speaker wire and connectors and you have got a pretty sweet system for 1050 dollars and some of your time, that will give you great listening potential.

I say potential because a stock head unit is a piece of shit I don't care what car it comes in. You just cant fine tune a systemwith a stock head unit.

edit: I notice there is alot of eD bashing on this forum, let me say this.

I have used Rockford, digital designs, Focal, and other such high end name brands and alot of underground stuff as well.
    While i would never recommend a eD subwoofer ( personal experiance recieved one damaged, and had the other come unglued )
    I do not hesitate to recommend their amps, I have been running a nine.1 @ 1 ohm for 3 years now not even bolted down and it has never given me a hiccup.

They also do rated power, if not a little more.

So eD amps good, eD subs bad.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  11. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

eD at all, bad.

I dont reccomend spending over 1/4th the budget on 80Hz and below.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

thats a rather silly statement, imo. It depends entirely on your budget. If you had a budget of $600, for example, you could get a set of CDT 6.5" components for the front (or something comprable) powered by an alpine amp, an a RE12SR powered by a US Amps amp. It'd be a decent setup and he'd be spending half on his bass.

Now if you want to get into high-end stuff, then sure you start spending exponentially more on the front stage.... but for starting out, it's a 50/50 deal.