Noob looking for weight loss/fitness help

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Magnificent, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnificent

Magnificent New Member

I have an athletic background, but that was 12 years ago. I am 31 years old and I used to be a very good high school basketball player. I am 6'2" and at that time I weighed around 190lbs.

Fast forward to today: Married. Two kids. I now weigh a chubtastic 275lbs.

I just started a gym membership yesterday, but I have no clue how to exercise other than ride the exercise bike or shoot some hoops.

I would like to lose as much weight as I can and I don't really have much background with weight lifting or any advanced techniques.

If anyone could give me diet and/or weight training techniques I would appreciate it highly. I am tired of looking like a slob and I'd like to work my way back into shape to compete in a recreation basketball league.

Thanks for your help!

2. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Stickies, Archives.

3. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

starting strength

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

less posting more reading

5. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

I started at 6'3 @ 350 and have lost 100+ lbs of fat and gained a lot of muscle (my maxes have double and in some cases as much as tripled). The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in, so if you change your diet for the better you're going to start to lose. If you combine in regular exercise with that you'll lose a lot more. What worked for me is standard weight training methods along with about 30 minutes of cardio (I like the elliptical machine because it gets your heart rate up without much stress on your joints, plus it's sustainable for a longer period of time). With regards to the weights make sure you do the big fat burners: bench press, squats and deadlifts. When you do them, take the time to learn proper form and above all do these lifts safely, nothing is worth getting hurt over. I range from between 60-90 minutes of weights and again, 30 minutes of cardio. I personally go to the gym every single day, a lot of people tell me this is over training but I guess my body doesn't think so. The key is to find what works for you. In regards to food intake I just drink water and maybe a cup of coffee per day. I bias my diet more towards complex carbs in the morning and fade into protein in the evening. Instead of 2-3 large meals, break them down into 5-6 smaller, balanced meals. Chicken breasts and salmon are some of my preferred proteins while brown rice, oatmeal and fruit are my carbs of choice. The main thing to remember when you're losing weight is to stick with it, it doesn't happen over night but there is no other way to make it happen and if you stick with it it WILL happen. Don't try to go nuts the first couple of days and weeks, start modestly and build upwards.

ibwalloftext

6. Magnificent

Magnificent New Member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about not reading the sticky.

7. Vino

Vino Guest

I do the Bill Starr 5x5 Intermediate program MWF and HIIT on the treadmill/stairmaster Tues/Thurs. Seems to be working pretty well for me.

8. bavboym3

bavboym3 New Member

You wont get help here.. All these people are to high on themselves.

9. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

10. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

No, not at all.

Yeah people certainly are "high on themselves", but that's not why we don't give the same advice OVER AND OVER.

We don't do it because there are MULTIPLE threads out there that have pages of input and information on the EXACT subject you are interested in.

It doesn't even require a SEARCH! They're in the FUCKING STICKIES!

But here's the answer you're looking for:

Diet & exercise.

That's the deal, man. No magic pills, no secrets. And everyone is going to say the same thing.

The fact of the matter is (and we know this is the case because most people here at some point made a conscious decision to lose weight) that most people want to be TOLD what to do because it gives the more time to live their shitty lifestyle while putting the burden of their task in the hands of others.

AKA they are lazy and don't want to get shit started

Start your diet NOW. It's 5:00 EST. Don't fucking kid yourself and say "I'll start this tomorrow or Monday or something". You start it at 7 PM when you sit down for dinner and this afternoon when you go for a jog or hit the gym -- or at least set up a time to go to a gym to sign up for a membership.

I know what it's like to be paralyzed by inaction. "Bro what's the best supplement I wanna get ripped" then avoid the gym for a week because I don't have the PERFECT plan.

A year from now the only thing you'll remember about this thread is if you did or didn't do something about it. You'll sit there a fat slob or maybe actually in decent shape. The power is in your hands to do something.

All the answers to your questions are already out there and they are definitely NOT hiding.

11. keeler

keeler New Member

read the stickies, if you don't know what something is feel free to ask. ie, how to do a certain exercise or tips on form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.