Noob here. My laptop with XP crashed.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by meow, Oct 23, 2007.

1. meow

meow OT Supporter

Ok so heres the deal. I've had this laptop for about 5 years so its outdated basically but still gets the job done at college instead of having my sexy desktop here. when i was in high school they gave everyone these dell laptops too use and when we graduated we kept them. But, the shitty part is that it doesn't have a floppy drive, or a cd drive cause they only let us keep the 2 batteries instead of giving a cd drive :ugh:. And now Windows finally crapped on me. it tells me the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error each time i restart it. i cant get in safemode or anything, same error for each option.

Is there any way to boot from a ipod (USB) if i put windows on it and fix it or reinstall windows, or am i shit out of luck? or any other way to fix it? like what if i took out the harddrive, put it in my desktop and reinstalled windows on it and then put it back in? i dont know, im just thinking of anything cause i really need it even though it is garbage and im too poor to get a new one until my parents get me one for christmas or soemthin :hs:.

any help please.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Doesn't sound like Windows crapped out...sounds like your hard drive crashed. Listen to see if you can hear the hard drive spin up when you boot the computer. If so, boot into bios and make sure you have the correct boot device order configured.

3. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

I would take out the hard drive, put it in a working desktop or laptop and transfer the contents using dd_rescue in Knoppix. This would be the best way to rescue your data quickly before more data is corrupted. Chances are you just have a corrupted boot record or your hard drive just died. If you can't recover anything then you could see if your bios supports booting from an external USB CD drive. This would allow you to reinstall windows. I'm guessing it won't but its worth a try. Also if you can get an external drive to boot then you might be able to boot to a windows CD and run a fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk /p command in the Windows recovery console. If you don't have an external CD drive I'd buy one from Walmart and just return it afterwards. They will never check if it actually works or not.

4. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

Oh and btw. You can't install windows on another computer because the hardware is different. Windows will only work when it is installed on the infrastructure on which it runs. I am convinced you will be able to save the computer. Chances are you're going to need a new Hard drive though. I'd get a Hitachi IDE Laptop drive off Newegg now so that you can install it.

5. Neuman

Neuman New Member

i think the interface between a 2.5" HDD (laptop) and 3.5" HDD (desktop) is different. looks like you need some sort of adapter to hook it up to a standard/desktop IDE cable

and

laptops only support one internal hdd, correct?

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Regardless of any other solutions, you can't boot up from a USB or Firewire drive because Windows resets all USB and Firewire controllers during bootup. In other words, in the middle of bootup, Windows would suddenly lose track of where its hard drive is, at which point it would crash.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

IDE drives have different plugs depending on their size. Serial ATA drives use the same plug regardless of size.

A lot of laptops nowadays come with an optional HDD tray that plugs in where the DVD drive goes.