Noob here and my quick story

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by imbored, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imbored

imbored OT Supporter

Okay so I have finally decided that its time I do something to improve my form instead of just letting myself stay the same.

I have a physical condition that is extremely rare and among all the things I was "blessed" with is a heart condition. Needless to say it exhibits the possibility of arrhythmia and cardiac arrest. As such I've been conditioned by parents to not do any strenuous physical activities/sports. So I'm a small guy and always have been. I'm 5'8" 150lbs. I also was blessed with a pretty good dose of scoliosis. This wouldn't be a big deal but after some extended time of harsh impacts (running) or lifting...it hurts a good deal.

I've done some searching but nothing quite fits the bill I need to follow. My goals are simple but achieving them might not be. I would like to gain a bit of mass maybe a weight of around 165 or so. I'd like to just tone/condition/define with some strength building. I am not one to say I want abs in 2 weeks. I would like to get into some kind of routine or set myself up a schedule over a longer course of time to build what base I need then tone down and do whats needed to keep the definition without losing all strength.

I will say that I don't eat all that healthily as I divulge in a good amount of snacks. But I do eat good amounts of beef and chicken. If I need to adjust my diet for bulking that is fine, supplements or what have you. So fire at will with links or advice. Thanks a lot for any consideration. Once I move into my new place in the next couple of months I'll begin a journal.

2. nobody

nobody New Member

the snacks are definitely going to have to go. i don't know how old you are, but crap food like that isn't going to help you put on any mass but fat. i have become a firm lover of protien shakes, and take at least one and sometimes three a day.

but as far as working around your condition, maybe you could visit a physical therapist if you get a little extra scratch together, and he/she can help you figure out what would be a good routine that would keep you from throwing off your body any more than it is right now.

good luck, and that's a hot av.

3. imbored

imbored OT Supporter

Thanks. I already knew I was going to be buying some protein shakes. I'll substitue the midnight and after snacks for them then. As far as the condition goes....I can work out fine. Its keeping the heart rate at a certain higher level for an extended period of time that might even be a big deal. I'm really very active and do play sports and such. I'm 25. Thanks for the suggestion about the therapist....I need to do an annual checkup that I haven't done in years anyhow....I'll ask them when I go.

4. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I am not sure exactly what you can and can't do, but I recommend finding a routine that doesn't put an unecessary amount of stress on the spine, but also includes alot of core exercises. At your weight I wouldn't even worry about getting your heart rate too high, because cardio isn't even really a factor. I would focus on lifting for the time being and just make sure to take the necessary time between sets so you don't overexert yourself and stress your heart too much.

5. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

If you have reasonably modest goals and things like lifting or running cause pain, what about swimming? Great full body workout, very low impact, and you can still build some muscle.

6. imbored

imbored OT Supporter

Exactly what I had planned. I will just setup a lifting/swimming/home routine and see how that goes. I don't know why I made this thread but I guess I was thinking I'd need to do some cardio or something.

7. nobody

nobody New Member

another really great low impact workout is cycling. and you can do a stationary bike if you want. that way you can watch tv at the same time. which is why i hate stationary bikes. i need the fresh air.

edit: and at least your thread is better than "create a routine for me which will make me RIPPED" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.