noob computer question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Climbing Cracker, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

i know dick about computers, so here's the problem.

i tried to burn a cd this morning and the program said my E drive was "not accessable". so i tried to eject the drive because there was a cd stuck in there, it did not open. i tried eject it within My Computer, once again, nothing. i asked someone else about this problem and he said to insert a pin into a little hole on the drive...it worked. it drive popped open and i removed the disc. however, the drive still will not open and it began making a strange humming noise. i rebooted and it's silent now. so, what is going on? do i need to replace the drive? thanks...

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The drive could be dead... Are there any lights lit up on it? I would at least pop the case open and make sure the data and power cables are on there tight. If so, you can also try a different power cable.

3. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

no lights came on until i inserted the pin, then they came on briefly. i'll pop the case either today or tomorrow. will the power cables be easily recognizable? what in the world would cause the humming and grinding?

4. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

It is probably a bad Optical Drive, like mentioned above check powercables onthe Drive, Just trace the Optical drive to the inside of the tower, there should be 2 cables coming from it, one grey one and one white smaller one, the smaller one is the power cable.

If it's making grinding noises it's probably a bad Optical Drive.