TAT Noob Catrilage Ear Piercing Question

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by teh_Jimster, Mar 3, 2004.

1. teh_Jimster

teh_Jimster Guest

I'm thinking about getting my catrilage pierced at the top of my ear...yah know the whole loop thing style. This would be my first piercing if I decide to do this. So I have a couple of questions on the matter:

-I know its gonna sting and I'm ready for that, but I hear it hurts like a bitch?

-the process of them piercing it

-Cleaning methods after it's pierced.

-When I get it done can I have a loop to start out with or have to have a :greddy: stud for the while.

-If I were to take it out will there be a noticable akward hole (just want normal gauge whatever that might be)

-How long till it heals after piercing and if I were to dislike the piercing does the hole grow back (even after maybe years of having one)

As you can plainly see is that I'm just worried I'm gonna not like it and be nervous I'd be fucked havin a hole i dont want. Plus I hate needles so this is a big step for me if I do so. Not really worried about the pain if the guy can do it fast enough. I thank anyone for their time to answer :bigthumb:

EDIT - I looked it up and the proper word is HELIX <--want one of those..just on the curve of the top of my ear

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2004
  2. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

cartiledge piercings dont hurt too much. its very quick. the procedure should take no longer than 30secs to do. that includes piercing and inserting the jewelry. the method is different for every piercer though. some choose to pierce with an oversized needle(needle being bigger than the jewelry) and some choose to use the same size needle as jewelry. of course either way is good, its all preference in how the piercer is. you can go with a ring right from the start. steer clear of studs, there crap quality and hard to clean properly. as for healing times, that all depends on you and how well you take care of it. an average time for a helix piercing is anywhere from 2months to 6months. sometimes even longer if you're not good with it. and once you take it out, the hole will close noticeably with only a small scar.

3. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

you should get a 8mm outter conch dermal punch as a first piercing :o

no anyways, pierce with a 12ga needle and use 14g jewelry on something like that... the reason i use a bigger needle is because cartilage is not very flexable or forgiving.. by making the hole (actaully a cressent shaped slit) a little bigger, ive found that it takes off some of the pressure on the new piercing during the first week or so making healing and pain a tad less... the only downside to this method is that the procedure is a bit bloodier... ideally the best way to do cartilage is to dermal punch it.. that means actually removing the tissue and cartilage.. there is no pressure on the jewelry and it heald up alot quicker, so ive heard.. now i know you are thining.. well if the tissue and cartilage are gone.. if i take this thing out in gonna have a hole there... nope.. you will have a little hole for a little bit but the body is awesome at repairing itself and will grow akin around the area and bridge the gap... of course there will be no cartilage there since that stuff dosent ever really grow back but in a hole that size.. no one will notice

4. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

I had mine done 5 or 6 years ago... Actually getting it pierced didn't hurt more than any other piercing I have (I just have the belly button and the lobes though). However, the healing period sucked a big one.

Here are some hints:
    * If you sleep on your side, get used to sleeping a different way because you wont want to lay on it at night.
    *Make sure you clean it very well so it will heal faster. Also make sure not to take it out before you are supposed to; you don't want to have to semi-re-peirce it if it starts to close up a bit.
    *This is random, but I learned it the hard way: if you're the type to go to punk concerts, dont go in the pit if there are crowdsurfers. I think I was kicked in the ear at three seperate concerts while mine was healing and they were all painful as fuck and bleeds and all around sucks.

Also, to your question about it closing up: if you decide you no longer want it, it will never close up because cartilage is not regerative. Plus, cartilage has a tendancy to keloid, and if that happens, you basically end up with a 3d scar.

5. deznutz

deznutz New Member

You are looking way to much into it, it doesnt hurt at all. If you go into it WANTING it, it will not hurt. If you think it will, it will!

6. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

it's different for everybody. mine hurt for a week. my friends was a little sore for 3 days.

7. Mine hurt like a bitch, but in a good way. My other piercings were nothing compared to it, but everyone is different. My ear was swolled for about a week and after three all I got is crusties. I love the way they look, so good luck.

8. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

Mine hurt like hell, but only because my ears were sunburnt to a crisp when I got it done. Most of the time the piercer will give you something or recommend something that is gentle enough to wash the piercing and clean it. Just ask, if it's a reputable shop you're going to, they won't mind if you ask an assload of questions. That's what they are there for.

9. WaRR

WaRR Guest

Well i got my catrilage a few months ago and it didnt hurt straight away, but once i got out of the store it started to sting. This was my first peircing so i wasnt use to the pain, but i got over it after a few hours and i couldnt feel anything.
    I had to sleep a different way at night because it hurt to lean on it for first few weeks, and if someone hits it, it hurts like a bitch, but now it doesnt hurt at all and cant feel it. Definetly worth it to get it.

10. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

what ever you like better