Noob Car Audio Question - Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by irichie, Mar 14, 2004.

1. irichie

irichie New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I just upgraded my gf's civic with a pioneer 7600MP headunit now the stock speakers sound distorted even when you have 1/4 to 1/3 of the volume turned on.

I was wondering what kind speakers would be a good and cheap match for this unit? The power on the unit is MOSFET 50Wx4 and I will be powering the 4 speakers through the headunit, they are 6.5 in the front and 6x9 in the back.

also since the unit says 50W per channel does this mean that the speakers have to have at least 50W RMS power? I dont understand the RMS and Peak power difference .. the guy at best buy said the pionners would be fine but the RMS power is only 35W.

Also is there a big difference between 2way/3way/4way speakers?? Im on a budget and would like to at least get my money's worth.

How are these pioneer speakers?

6.5 3way a1670r
    they are only 55 bucks shipped here

6x9 3way
    $55 here online

Any suggestions would be appreciated .. thanks in advance. :x:
  2. 04

04 Guest

No, the MOSFET 50W doesnt mean much unfortunatly. Your headunit probably puts out 10 watts x 4 channels with all channels driven.

The difference between RMS and Peak power is that peak is 2 times what RMS is, therefore if your RMS power is 60 watts, then your peak power is 120 watts. The peak figure does not mean anything though.

The difference between 2/3/4 way speakers is that the more speakers you add to the sound at a given pricepoint, usually the worse the speaker system sounds. Once you get to speakers costing over a couple hundred dollars, having more than 2 way speakers makes sense, but otherwise I would suggest sticking to a 2 way speaker in your price range.