Noob: Can't do a proper squat, what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jamestl, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamestl

Jamestl Old Member

So I'm a complete noob when it comes to weights and jsut recently bought a small home gym with a bench attached to the side bars that allow you to do flat/inclined bench presses. So after reading stuff here at F&N and elsewhere, it seems that squats are a core exercise I need to do.

I tried doing a squat with a bar today just to get the form down, but can barely get close to parallel before losing my balance. I then tried to do it without anything and holding my arms/hands out in front of me. I was able to go a little deeper but my Tibialis Anterior was hurting/streching like crazy. I can't even squat all the way down (ass to grass) with my back curled and wraping my arms around my legs without losing my balance (fall backwards). Am I missing some muscles or something? :dunno: Any help is appreciated. :)

2. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Try positioning you feet further apart, and pointing your toes out.

3. Jamestl

Jamestl Old Member

I first tried with my feet pointing out at about a 45 degree angle and shoulder wide. Couldn't do it. If I do it really wide, I can do it better. But most people seem to be able to do it with shoulder length width and I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong or should improve before I can do it as well... Is it just a flexibility issue?

Edit: my suite mate can squat down without any problem... yet I fall back when I do that. Do I need more muscles somewhere?

4. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Do you fall onto the crapper everytime you go to take a shit?

Make sure you aren't balancing on the balls of your feet, your heels should not elevate off the ground at any point of the movement. Stick your ass out like you're squatting down to take a crap, sink down INTO your knees (shoulders - knees - feet should all line up). Lean torso forward to balance...

5. Jamestl

Jamestl Old Member

I can balance during the squat. I'm just not sure if my Tibialis Anterior should be hurting...

6. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's your shins. They should not be hurting. I think you need to do some proper stretching and get your legs worked out. Do sprints for now and practice standing on one foot for a minute. Go a minute longer each time until you hit 5. When I squat I like to do a sumo stance and keep everything stiff-my back (arched), shoulders, traps, arms, and look forward

7. Jamestl

Jamestl Old Member

They're not hurting per se, more like getting stretched or something. When I do the sumo, it pretty much goes away but when I do the squat at about shoulder length with feet at 45 degree angle, the shins become a problem...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.