noob bookshelf speaker question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Freonthewhite, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Freonthewhite

Freonthewhite FrEoN OT Supporter

Hi, i'm new to all this. My TV has audio out you know those left right rca plug outs, I'm getting THIS DVD PLAYER it has the same 2 audio outs and also digital audio out.
    Do a pair of speakers exist that would accept either digital or left/right audio out as input?
    Or do I have to get a receiver?
    I was trying to not waste too much money, if I absolutely had to get a receiver to do this do you guys have any recommendations, in the $100-$150 range?
    Thanks

2. Freonthewhite

Freonthewhite FrEoN OT Supporter

3. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Yes, you will need a receiver to power the two speakers. The only thing which is self powered that i know is the bose cinemate ($500) and it's a hunk of shit.

For that price should be able to pick up to cheap speakers and receiver and it will sound better.

4. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

these are powered and sopposed to be pretty nice so you wouldnt have to deal with an extra amp if you dont want to. Ive heard alot of good things about the 5's $349.99, but they also have some for 199.99

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Swans M200 are two way bookshelf type self powered monitors available for under $200 which I've been wanting to listen to for ages. They will accept the stereo RCA inputs. For digital input and decoding you'd need a receiver or something more sophisticated with the processing built in (not necessarily anything expensive though).