Noob at building gaming computers need some assistance.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by concept, Jun 22, 2008.

1. concept

concept New Member

right now im looking to buy a motherboard but i have no idea what makes a mother board good or bad and what brands are good or bad. Could you guys help me out?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Assuming you want to go with an Intel CPU.

Intel
    Gigabyte
    Abit
    Asus

If you want to overclock, go with Gigabyte or Abit.

If not, then for sure go with Intel.

You can get an E8400, motherboard and memory for under $250 right now that will absolutely smoke through anything you throw at it.

3. concept

concept New Member

yeah i am going the intel route looking at the dual core or posibly the quad core if its out.

but the 2 mobos i have been looking at are

this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121338

and this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131275

price right now doesn't matter to me at all.

what do you guys think?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that Asus is SHIT, do not buy it. That intel board is excellent, but expensive. I would personally get a P35 or wait for the P43.

5. concept

concept New Member

i was leaning more towards the intel mobo anyways but can you tell me why it better? i wanna know for future references when im looking for more motherboards.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Intel has the inherent advantage that it can design its boards and its chipsets to work perfectly with its CPUs. That's not to say other motherboard manufacturers can't do the same, they just have to try harder.

I've had good luck with Asus, from $30 motherboards to $250 motherboards. Potty's just an Intel sackrider.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The Asus high end boards are particularly shitty. Asus loves to pack a buttload of features onto their boards, but they always do so with penny-pinching in mind. So you could look at a board with firewire, raid5, wifi, audio, etc... But they're all going to be the shittiest implementations that money couldn't buy.

The only certainty with an expensive asus board is that something is gonna break. The main system will probably run for a long time -- but the accessories and "extras" are gonna stop working. Asus boards are infamous for firewire, audio, raid, and wifi going out.

Plus wifi is a bad idea for a mobo. The traces are so crowded on a mobo that introducing wifi simply creates noise.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I do like intel, and I have repeatedly stated my reasons -- and I feel they are very valid.

At the heart of it, Intel made the CPU and they made the chipset -- they sure as shit know how to make the mobo. Secondly, Intel focuses on servers and high-level workstations. They place a focus on stability and reliability, and I respect that. I don't care about wifi or shitty software raid5 or colored pci sockets... I care about a system that works, and stays working. Intel addresses my concerns as their primary focus.

But if for some reason you can't do an intel board, then by all means look at something else. Personally, if I didn't do an Intel board, I'd most likely end up with an Abit. They're picky with their settings, but once you get them right they run well. They place a focus on performance and control.

Gigabyte is okay. But I have a problem with okay. They are the same price as everyone else, yet they're just okay. Why buy okay? Why pay the same for okay when you could have gotten "great"? That's my biggest problem with gigabyte.

I would take MSI over Asus, any day. You have to be careful with chipset selection (because MSI will use shitty VIA/SiS chipsets in their uber-cheap mobos). But if you can't take an Intel or Abit mobo, then MSI is definitely better than Asus. FWIW, MSI and Asus generally share the same base mobo spec. MSI builds it true-to-spec (most of the time) and Asus will add all their extra (shitty) features on top of it.

I used to love Asus. But I have watched their quality steadily decline over the years. I will still recommend their "Corporate Stable" products in low-end systems where cost is a huge factor. You can generally get them for $50-60 and they have Intel G31 chipsets and remain true to the basic and reliable design. Those are great. But their "high end" products are definitely something to avoid.

9. deusexaethera

I agree with not having integrated WiFi, but I've not had a single accessory stop working -- or even cause stability problems -- on any Asus board I've ever bought. In fact, I switched to them because I was impressed with their stability.

Keep in mind I'm not saying you should get an Asus with a non-Intel chipset -- that part makes sense -- but I do like having those features that Intel boards don't have (and unlike in Opera, since I know you'll drag that in, I do use them all).

EDIT: I think the boards I bought were the kind that would've been the upper end of "corporate stable," had they used that terminology at the time. The super-fancy boards I have no use for.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If the board cost <$100 it is not a "high end" board.

The "high-end" or should I say "feature-rich" are generally $200+ boards.

11. deusexaethera

I've gone above $200. I dunno, maybe I've just been really lucky, or you've been really unlucky.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think I've seen more of the big-picture.

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

get a P43/P45.
    x48 is not worth it. use the money you save on the fastest CPU you can buy or a kick ass graphics card.

if you will overclock, definitely get an enthusiast board.

not all has released their P43/P45s yet. so far,... Gigabyte has been consistently good and is my recommendation.