Non symmetrical mid-back and traps

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 2000GT, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Been feeling pretty stiff and sore lately and took the time in the holiday to get a athletic massage and take some time off. The RMT (Registered Massage Therapist) tells me that the right side of my midback and left trap are significantly hyper toned in comparison to my left mid back and right trap.

Had the g/f check it out and she concurs. Apparantly, years of switch grip deadlifts, without changing my palm positions has "deformed" me.

Hit the gym today with opposing switch grip and felt great. I have a long time before they even out, but thought I would mention this to you guys as now that I am aware of it, I wish I had adjusted my grips over the past few years.

2. tantrum

tantrum New Member

I always heard it was good to switch your grips for that very reason, and so I do. I guess what I've been hearing is true after all

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I started switching my over/under between reps as soon as I started mixed grip for this reason.

4. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I always deadlifted double overhand for this reason

5. dru

dru I want to blah blah blah

I don't go high enough in weight to use mixed grip

6. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I had actually been doing double overhand with straps on and off for a while thinking I would be stronger and perhaps even out my traps (always could see they were visually inbalanced). Today I found I am stronger switch grip (both ways) without straps and that I need to focus on the opposing grip to even out the symmetry.

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I always try to switch up my grip to prevent this. I don't deadlift terribly often though so it's not a huge issue.

8. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

i used to think similar to you but then a guy i follow simply said "why are you making it easier? always make it harder"

Always done double overhand since. If your concerned that you are stronger soley b/c ur grip is better with the switch, good straps should take care of that since I never fail b/c of my grip strength

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.