WEB Non profit design

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jizzmo, May 12, 2009.

1. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

So I was thinking a good way to learn some more about Drupal would be to offer web design services for free to non-profit organizations around my area (Portland, OR) Anybody here have any experience dealing with non-profits? Think this is a good or bad idea?

2. Finest

Finest OG #93

From personal experience, non-profit organizations are the pickiest of clients who demand way too much out of a free deal.

"We don't want yellow, we want golden sunshine. Do you have that color?"

"Our logo is too big."
    "No wait, now it's too small. Make it bigger."
    "Can you make our logo cover the whole page now?"

(after spending two days on developing an awesome theme with them)
    "We are moving in a different direction with our marketing. A website will not be part of our immediate future. But thanks for your help!"

:squint:

3. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

i have done a few and they were very apperciative

4. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

I figure I will be doing it probono, just as a hobby to help out soem of the nonprofits around my area.

5. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I don't see how that would be a bad idea in any way. They may want to know what monetary value to assign the site for tax-break purposes

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I did it once several years ago. I wrote a custom appointment/scheduling application that took about 6 weeks to build.

It was all custom too, no framework. :wtc:

7. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

I just think it would be kinda of nice to give back with something I would like to learn more about. If there is no money involved, it wouldn't make it feel like there was always a time crunch, and I am sure the organizations would be more laid back when it comes to the design... not wanting the pinch every penny they can. Most of all it seems like a good way to learn Drupal more indepth.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

9. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

I did it and in our country if you do non-profit work they can give you a charitable donation receipt for your efforts.
    It was actually quite beneficial as the client was more prone to higher rates and negotiations if the only out of pocket expense on their end is a charitable receipt.

10. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

here in the states, the last time i looked into it, the charity needs to have all their paper work in and file as a charity, then they will be able to do something like that and the irs will accept it, if it is a new charity and they don't have the paper worked filed, don't bother asking for a tax write off, the irs will not accept it, but that was last year that i looked into it, so it could have changed