MIL Non-Citizen enlistment :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NetChemica, Aug 2, 2008.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I was born in Poland in 85. I've been here since 94 and due to a lot of legal drama (mostly due to our lawyer), we just recently got our Green Card in early 07.

I was all gung-ho about enlisting since my sophomore year in high school. I got my green card and started visiting with an Air Force recruiter about what's needed of me, and realized I needed to lose weight (I was @ 6ft and 230).

I lost the weight, but in the mean time I started dating my high school crush. Feeling she was the one, I decided not to enlist and continue with my criminal justice degree. :wtcslap:

Less than a year later, she cheated on me with a close friend, but now that I'm much deeper into my degree, I wanted to join the Air National Guard since they have a base only 2.5 hours from here.

This monday, I go there to enlist, only to find out that I need to be a citizen for security clearance. I can still go Air Force reserves, but I won't get any decent jobs due to my status.

Now I'm meeting with a Coast Guard recruiter since they offer "better" jobs, at least positions that I'll enjoy doing. I'll be active in the CG and be a boatman's mate or marine mechanic.

Only physical problems I have are that I'm not that fit and I have flat feet. I'm at 180lbs right now since I've been bicycling a lot, but I hear that CG basic is tough (right up there with Marines)

Now... I have to wait 3 more years to apply for citizenship OR I can apply immediately once I'm enlisted.

My ultimate goal is Security Forces.

You guys have any suggestions for me? I'd really like a military background to put on my resume if I decide not to stay in the military.

cliffs: I got denied AFguard cause I'm not a citizen. Coast Guard has better jobs for non-citizens, even though I can't be security forces which is what I want. I have to wait 3 years to apply for my citizenship, or apply immediately once I'm enlisted. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

allthatshit

3. Cobra Commander

srsly though--wait for the citizenship. it would be better for all of us.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I don't see the problem. You cannot expect to be given a security clearance unless you're a US citizen, which you can get very quickly by joining. Most non-citizens I know/knew came in as shitty undesignated or something, got their citizenship, then crossed over to whatever they actually wanted to do.

5. Cobra Commander

DONT DO WHAT WIDDS IS SAYING--HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

sometimes i wonder how you got away with getting a clearance for IT

7. alex116

alex116 New Member

You might as well enlist now and apply for citizenship, unless you have something better to do for the next three years.

8. Cobra Commander

:rofl:

9. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

In my Supply Room how, I have a PFC who isn't a US Citizen. The only issue I've had getting him is a CAC Card for AKO access.

Go Army ;)

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Enlist then apply. If someone seriously tells you to wait, they don't have your best interests in mind.

11. burton564

burton564 New Member

I guess I'll keep my educated opinions to myself on that

12. WildBull

WildBull Guest

buddy i served in iraq with was from Peru. He has deployed 3 times and is still not a U.S. citizen.

13. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

it's Boatswain Mate

14. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Why? All I heard were rumors from CG friends, probably trying to talk themselves up.

15. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Seeing as a CAC card is an ID card and you get that in bootcamp I don't see what the issue. is. Not having access to any of the "KO's" has nothing to do with being a citizen or not.

16. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

We had two Marines get sworn in as citizens in Baghdad, Iraq. Pretty cool if you ask me. They had a helo pick them up from our FOB in anbar and flew them to baghdad for a ceremony.

17. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

lol boatman's maid. :rofl:

18. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

From what I've seen in the past, active duty members typically get their citizenship quicker than civvies.

Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Go Coast Guard.

19. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

stop.

i wasnt a citizen in '06 when i enlisted in the NY Air National Guard. I went to basic and tech dec 06-apr 07. Either this recruiter has his head WAY up his ass or you're leaving out a piece of the story; yes, there are restrictions on the jobs you can apply for that do not require security clearances. It is true you cannot get a secret or top secret clearance, but you CAN get a FAVORABLE clearance which will allow u to do other jobs (mostly civil engineering). Once you graduate from your tech school, you can apply for citizenship and get it within 6 months; then you can cross train into a job you want (mine came really fast). This applies to ALL services, and ALL branches.

If you dont join the military, you must wait until early 2012 (remember, its 5 years wait from the DAY you GOT your green card) to apply for citizenship and about a 1 to 2 year wait to get it.

I say for you to speak to this recruiters supervisor to straighten this out. Dont join a service you dont want to be a part of, you'll be miserable. Ditto on the MP thing, that will make you miserable too. I wanted to be an MP at first, got denied the job (obviously) and went with something else, im much happier here and i see how miserable the MPs really are.

I will say that the coast guard is the shit though.

Questions, comments? PM me and ill help you out.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  20. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i have a green card and enlisted without any problems

21. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

IIRC the wait for greencard holders until they can be granted citizenship is 5 years. If you are in the service, it goes down to 3 years.

Im in the military and a resident and that's the word given to us by our immigration lawyer. I never actually filed for my citizenship tho cuz that bitch is like 500 bucks.

22. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

I was looking into this today, and some new GWOT law provides that even 1 day of active honorable service is now sufficient to justify a citizenship petition. My wife (canadian) is thinking about being an Air Traffic Controller, and would like to go in the AF, but can't as they need a Secret...however the Army has what looks to be the same MOS with no clearance required. You can find the lists of all the jobs you can get without citizenship pretty easy someplace like about.com Also... How does switching MOS/Rates work for the AF? I know here in the army you pretty much must wait until you re-enlist to make that happen and go back to school.

23. Jyokker

I believe the reason for the secret clearance is because of the AF's role in developing new aircraft. This is just my reasoning, but out here at WSMR, the ATC is controlled by the AF on an Army post.

While most people wouldn't use the secret clearance, a secret clearance is easy to obtain and easily upgradable to a TS. A TS is more difficult to jump right in to. I really don't know for sure, but these are my thoughts.

24. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

You're mostly correct. I deal alot with the clearances - and the secret and TS are tottaly seperate from eachother. There is no way to submit an 'upgrade' request - you simply requst an entirely new investigation. That being said, it is a much more substantial investigation than a secret. :noes:

25. Jyokker

Why does it only take 60 days if an individual already has a secret, but it takes 4 months if they do not? This experience is based on my current assignment which requires a TS.