Nokia 6230

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by poondaddy007, Aug 3, 2004.

1. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

Anybody know when it'll come out in America?

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Nope. I just got an unlocked one online and threw my AT&T SIM Card in it.

Who's your service provider?

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

Cingular has the phone in their current ads but no one is known to have it in stores yet. Check around your local cingular stores and dealers to see if its arrived yet

4. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

I have an old sanyo 5150 with sprint that i want to get away from. I've been reading up a bit on forums and the Nokia seems like a really cool phone to have.

I like the removable memory feature a lot.

5. maczter

one word of warning about the 6230, since you mentioned liking it because of the removable memory. The memory is, in fact, removable, but the 6230 has the worst design i've seen yet for the back cover removal method. every time I want to take it off, I spend 5 minutes or so trying to get it off.

fortunately, it has bluetooth for transferring files, so the only time i ever remove the back cover is when i want to remove the SIM card to try another phone.

note: since i've been playing around with my different phones over the past week or so and have taken the back cover off the 6230 several times, it's now considerably easier, but still more difficult than any of my other phones.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  6. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

thanks for the heads up. but I don't think it'll be that big of an issue b/c I plan on getting a 64/128 MB card and that should be enough to hold all my pics/mp3s and stuff. and I dont see myself changing the sim card or the phone that often as evidenced by the fact that I still rock the shitty sany 5150 around after 2+ years.

also, does anyone know if they'll sell the silver or graphite version? I really like the graphite but hate the silver one (looks to feminine for me).

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i love the way the black one looks. thats the one i'd get if i were getting it

8. maczter

that's what i have. not crazy about the white one myself either.

9. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

The black 6230 is the world tri-band version: 900/1800/1900mhz

The white one with silver keypad is the 6230b which is the North American verison: 850/1800/1900mhz.

I guess even though they have swappable covers, this is one way to distinguish them at first.

10. maczter

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

theres some 6230b versions on ebay right now. supposedly they are legit. i just wish my 6620 had the same class of EDGE as the 6230 :hs:

12. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

That will suck so bad if the N. America versions only come in white. It looks so sleek and cool in black/graphite.

I've seen a couple links for the ones on ebay on HoFo but I'd rather just wait to get them in store or maybe on amazon to play with it right away.

13. zennoodle

Cingular's 6230b is white. That is what i was basing my judgement off of.

14. maczter

wonder how hard it would be to swap cases between my black euro and a white US version so i can have my cake and eat it too (black case with 850 MHz). :)

15. zennoodle

The cases are swappable, just switch 'em out.

16. maczter

alright. ya made me do it. i knew the back was was easily removable, but it turns out the front and keypad are both easily removable too.

took these pics in case anyone's interested...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

looks like the only part that is visible from the outside that won't be easily swappable is the 1/8" or so thick ridge that runs around the entire perimeter of the phone. it's flat black. a white stripe between the black won't look too bad.

edit: here's a pic of the white version, it also has the black ridge...

[​IMG]

now to get a hold of a US 6230. i've seen a couple of articles recently saying that there are waiting lists several weeks long all over the place in europe for the euro version of this phone (which is what i have right now). not sure if it will sell as well over here, since it's not readily recognizable as being such a capable phone. guess we'll find out.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  17. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

Last pic doesn't seem to work. Where did you buy the cover and how much was it?

I've heard it's supposed to come out either the 18th or 28th of this month. Hopefully it'll come out this week so I can get a new phone to play with.

I have a feeling it won't sell as well over here b/c I've called a couple Cingular stores and no one there seems to know anything about the phone ... if demand was super high then I'd think they'd have a waitlist for it or something.

18. maczter

it's not a cover. i have the euro version, which comes in pearl or graphite. i bought the graphite version, so that's the factory casing.

19. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

i'm jealous.

20. maczter

last pic is fixed now. site must have just been down because the externally linked one is showing on your post now.

21. maczter

by the way, i just stuck my brother in law's T-Mobile SIM card in my 6230 to see how his reception was and it was a solid five bars.

i'm on AT&T. they use 850 MHz and 1900 MHz towers, but my euro 6230 doesn't have 850 MHz reception. reception has always been unpredictable in my neighborhood -- i suspect because the closest towers are 850 MHz only, as my T616 (which has 850 MHz and 1900 MHz reception) always picks up a decent signal, while my 6230 and 3650 (both of which do NOT have 850 MHz reception) are both unpredictable in my neighborhood, but good most everywhere else around town.

point is, for you T-Mobile customers out there, an unlocked euro 6230 should work great for you. :)

22. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Cingular should be getting them ANY time now. I keep looking on my price sheets but they are not there yet.

Where did you get the info tha the 6230 from cingular would be white? Everything I've seen so far (and I work for the company) has been the graphite color.

I just got one today and its fucking :bowdown:
    oh, and if you think 128mb is enough, think again, mines full and I just got it today :o

23. zennoodle

That is how the initial 6230b's were marketed when they first came into the market. Cost per feature, the 6230 is an excellent choice, although when either Cingular or AT&T get the Sony Ericsson S710a, that will be major ownage. :)

24. maczter

yeah. i'm definitely lusting for the S710a. :yum:

...especially after switching back to my T616 and remembering the joys of themes. the GUI design on the 6230 is nothing to write home about, but it's fast and it works and it does everything under the sun. :)

...and that will definitely be a good thing if the 6230b comes in graphite. i really don't see many of the guys who are likely to buy that phone going for the white version. (and i say "guys" because most girls i know just want a phone and don't ever bother to figure out any advanced features beyond adding a number to the directory.)

25. poondaddy007

poondaddy007 New Member

i've heard that it was supposed to come out last week ... it didn't.

I've also heard it was def. coming out on the 28th so i'll probably swing by a Cingular store and see if it's in. I doubt it'll be there b/c there's nothing on their site about it and no hoopla on HoFo.

There is no way i'm gonna get it in the white version. It looks too girly but the graphite looks so sleek and sophisticated.

And I'm looking to switch to Cingular so the unlocked euro version isin't really a good option for me.