GUN Noise Suppressor "tax"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 993kgt, Oct 7, 2005.

1. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

Where do you get the paperwork rolling on the license you need to obtain a noise suppressor?

I've seen a few mentions of a $200 tax, and a process involved....but I can't find anything on google

2. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

its an NFA item, so you need to fill out the form 4 paperwork before you purchase the suppressor and send $200, then you wait a few months for the ATF to send you your tax stamp, then you go and pick up your suppressor. i think you usually would pay for it before you send in the forms, maybe put a down payment or something, but im not 100% sure as i haven't done it yet.
    there are a few people here who have purchased them, im sure they can tell you all the details

3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Basically you find a dealer and pay for the suppressor, they will give you the Form 4's and fingerprint cards which you have to fill out and get a chief law enforcement officer from your city or county to sign off on. You also get the fingerprint cards done then you send it all off with $200 to the ATF. Now comes the fun part, the waiting game. Anywhere from 30 to 180+ days later the Form 4 will arrive at your dealer with the tax stamp affixed and you can pick up your new toy. The process is a little different if you buy from out of state though. In that case you would pay for the suppressor and then the out of state dealer would transfer it tax free on a Form 3 to your local class 3 dealer and then you would start the process I outlined above. Any dealer selling them should be able to help you out with the process.

4. 993kgt

what are the requirements for applying for a class III license?

5. chris5vx

chris5vx New Member

Among other things already having a class 1. Have to suck it up and pay the $200 I'm afraid.

6. 993kgt

who admisters the class I/class III licenses?

i applied for my ccw permit, not sure where to go for licenses to buy special weapons

7. 993kgt

i got it, i'll post for those who search:

Actually, you can legally own fully-automatic weapons in the US. It requires a Class 3 Federal Firearms License (FFL). The license is not terribly hard to get but does require some background checks. It is primarily offered to dealers and certified collectors. On the other hand, semi-automatic weapons require no license in many jurisdictions. The background checks are point-of-purchase checks, not technically "licenses". Rossami (talk) 15:08, 10 Apr 2005 (UTC)
    Federal law is that you need the Class III to sell/transfer automatic weapons, purchasing involves lenghty notification process/background check, but no "license" per se. Individual states may require a license, but there is no federally mandated license to own an automatic rifle.--Dusty78 02:10, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC)
    Actually, a new Class 3 FFL is not so easy to get, at least not in most states. You have to have a permanent store front that you work out of and sell firearms as a business. For most people, that is not so simple, and really, impossible to do as something on the side. However, it is not true that you need an FFL to purchase automatic (Title II) firearms. In US states that allow it, all you have to do is get approval from your local sherrif or chief of police, send in a Form 4 to the ATF, and if everybody approves and local laws allow it, after about a 6 month wait you get approval to purchase your automatic firearm. However, if you ever want to take it out of the state, you have to get prior written approval from the ATF, which takes a long time. Needless to say, the biggest deterrant is that automatic rifles have been illegal to manufacture since 1986. Therefore, the number of legal guns is static (actually always decreasing), and it is their cost which is the most prohibitive. Most automatic rifles cost over $6,000, and some as much as $20,000 or more. I would say this is the real limiting factor for law abiding citizens to purchase automatic firearms. Of course criminals can buy them cheaply. Wodan 02:55, Apr 18, 2005 (UTC)

8. 993kgt

9. RRTX

RRTX New Member

You only need a class 3 license to deal in NFA weapons, not to own them. The only thing required from the government is what I mentioned, some states have a state required permit also, but GA does not. You don't need a CCW or any other license to buy them for personal use, you are just paying a special tax on them.

10. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

If you're interested in picking up some suppressors shoot me an IM and I'll fill ya in on what ya need to know.