GUN No work for those who defend themselves?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pizza Hut: No work for those who defend themselves?
    posted at 11:55 am on April 2, 2008 by Ed Morrissey
    http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/02/pizza-hut-no-work-for-those-who-defend-themselves/

A Pizza Hut deliverer fired shots at an armed robber who threatened his life, wounding him and leading to the criminal’s capture by police. What kind of reward did James Spiers get for his self-defense? Unemployment:

A Des Moines pizza driver who was suspended from his job after he shot an armed robber said today he has been overwhelmed by support from people who cheered what happened.

“But no one had contacted me directly about a job offer,” said James William Spiers III, 38, who was sent home by Pizza Hut managers after he fired multiple shots at a man who put a gun to his head Thursday and demanded money …

Spiers, who has a valid handgun permit, said he’s been “pretty much in the dark” about his job since the incident. Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut’s corporate offices in Dallas, said last week that employees are not allowed to carry guns “because we believe that that is the safest for everybody.”

“I just know that, given what happened, it’s not likely I’ll have a job anyway,” Spiers said. “Right now, I’m just taking some time off, trying to cool things down.”

Pizza Hut has every right to set its employment conditions. If they think that their corporate image is better served by having their deliverers die on doorsteps around this nation than to have the ability to defend themselves, that’s entirely their decision. People can choose to work for a company that routinely puts them in harms’ way while insisting that they remain defenseless even though legal recourses for their self-defense exist. And they can fire a man who saved his own life and perhaps those of other deliverers by ending the career of a would-be robber and potential murderer.

That’s Pizza Hut’s prerogative. Of course, Pizza Hut’s customers and employees have choices in the matter as well. The deliverers can find work elsewhere for an employer who doesn’t require martyrdom over a ten-dollar delivery. Their customers can opt out by purchasing their pizza elsewhere, from pizza shops that understand that deliverers have the right to defend themselves.

Here’s one story that ended with two dead deliverers. Here’s another from earlier this year. Pittsburgh had one two years ago that remains unsolved. Badger Blogger reports on one from December in Wisconsin, where earlier another deliveryman wound up prosecuted for defending himself. A Chicago woman got murdered in 2006 while delivering pizza. Almost three months ago, another pizza-delivery murder occurred in South Carolina. A Google search turns up 574,000 hits for pizza delivery murder.

Which is more unreasonable: Spiers’ concern for his safety, or Pizza Hut’s lack of concern for it? Make your choice and let Pizza Hut know your decision. Call 1-800-948-8488 to offer your opinion on Spiers’ employment situation.

2. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Doesn't look like I will be ordering from Pizza Hut again :dunno:

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd stop buying food from them, if I actually ate the shitty "pizza" they sell.

4. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Yeah, I haven't gotten anything from there in a while but I will just make sure everyone I know doesn't eat there anymore either.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Papa Johns and Vocelli's only for me. Pizza hut is just nasty and they gave another reason to not eat there.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I kinda like their "Pizza Mia" for $5. But in light of this, I will consider going back to Little Ceasers.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Not that I eat their pizza anyways, but I'll definitely avoid them in the future.

8. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Pizza Hut has actually fired several people over this same thing in the past 10 years or so.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I wish a state would come in and protect rights of CHP holders. If you have a CHP then you should be allowed to carry, and that right should not be revoked by employers.

10. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

They arent revoking their right to carry, :ugh: As chickenshit as I think their policy is, they have every legal right to say to their employees that they cannot carry a handgun on them while working and I would be pissed off if any form of government interfered with their right as an employer to set policies and standards -- its a slippery slope.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you must be against minimum wage, then.

12. Jake!

Jake! Guest

I hate this state.

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

How do you feel about maternity leave?

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

workers comp?

15. PumpScout

PumpScout New Member

Heard about this guy on Mancow's show. Another fairly-fast-food place already offered the guy a similar job with better pay.

16. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter