no wonder it was running hot.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, May 5, 2009.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

:hsd:
    [​IMG]
    :rofl:

Added a second video card in a few months ago and since then it seemed like it would start getting hotter. Finally broke down and ordered a 3rd case fan to try to get some air moving through it so while I had it open I decided to blow off the vid cards. Turns out the heatsink on my CPU was packed solid with dust. No wonder I was seeing 80* on my Q6600 during HD video watching.

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Ive been using an electric leaf blower to clean my cases out lately. Works well.

3. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Holy wow, I don't think I've ever seen one that bad. I'm pretty anal about cleaning mine every month, or at least checking it.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Try opening up a register at some store that hasn't been opened in 10 years. Now that is fucking disgusting :ugh:

5. jdw

jdw New Member

I've been meaning to blow it out for a while now - I just had no idea it was that bad. I need to find some way to keep at least some of the dust out. Too bad this case is so wide open.

I need to open up the case for one of my old machines that my parents are using. I had it open once briefly a year ago but I know that hasn't been cleaned in probably 5 years.

6. jdw

jdw New Member

well, there we have it. the addition of 1 more 120mm fan and half a can of compressed air and I've cut 30* off my CPU temps (just finished watching a movie again that usually brought me up closer to 80*)

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

dust filters in fans?

8. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

I cleaned out some computers from a pet resort a few months back. I couldn't even see the motherboard. Totally covered in pet hair, looked like a cocoon.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i use ac vent filters in the front of my cases.

and tape off non-actively exhausted holes in the back.

so i keep my airflow front to back, and all intake areas are filtered. i replace the filters every 6 months.

minimal dust build up inside.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Wow, that's a lot of dust.

Okay, here's what you do: change all your case fans so they blow into the case (don't worry, air will find its way out, you don't need exhaust fans), and buy/make some cheap fan filters using that black porous foam stuff they put in window air conditioners. Vacuum the filters every few months.

I've been running a setup like this for...well...since 2003, and there is a little dust in the bottom of my case. Nowhere else.

11. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Ok, that might work for keeping it clean, but it seems to me that it would keep all the hot air trapped in your computer.

12. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

what are the temps like?

*edit* and what are your specs?

13. deusexaethera

It doesn't keep the heat in the computer. Air diffuses out through all the other gaps and seams in your case, space between drive bays, the hidden grille that's in the front of most cases, etc. Besides, the power supply has an exhaust fan, which is okay as long as all the other fans are intakes.

Positive pressure inside the case keeps dust from getting sucked in through all those gaps I mentioned previously.

My specs are an old Athlon XP 3000, but those aren't known for being cool CPUs (no usage-based speed throttling like newer chips), and I have three Raptors cranking away inside the case too, and I use the slowest SilenX fans I can get to reduce noise.

I think the motherboard temp might hit 50C running at full-tilt in the summer, but it will run like that for days at constant 100% usage ([email protected]), without any thermal controls to make the fans speed up when it gets hot.

14. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown::rolleyes:

Try building an enterprise based system an getting back to us...

yeah... I like your ideas on physics and thermal dynamics.... I guess all the big players have had it wrong all along !!:mamoru:

15. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah no kidding... look at ANY server/high-end workstation, any brand/architecture/platform... they have intake AND exhaust fans... I guess everyone else is wrong.

16. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Try crawling into a grocery store checkout stand/belt and punching down a cat5 cable while laying in it :noes:. Saw some of the most disgusting shit I've ever seen in my life in those things :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I had a summer job in high school for Catalina Marketing traveling around to grocery stores that were doing remodels and/or converting the catalina coupon printers from serial to new cat5 printers.

The only exception were Harris Teeters....they were always spotless :bowdown:

17. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

you haven't been exposed to much dude if you think thats gross

18. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

so good

19. deusexaethera

The fuck are you talking about? I was talking about an end-user consumer-grade desktop. My servers at work have rows of fans inside blowing air from front to back -- all I did was add some porous foam inside the removable front bezels to catch dust.

zomg Cray supercomputers use centralized liquid cooling, so my Dell Optiplex must need it too! :noes: :noes: :noes:

20. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

That's weird.... never seen a consumer-grade HP/Sony/Dell/Apple/IBM etc. like that either... :hsugh:

21. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Both of you are talking out of your ass.

22. deusexaethera

So?

I am not talking out of my ass Hate Crime, I've done it on several computers of varying sizes and speeds, and not a single one has exploded into flames -- or even shut down due to overheating.

What they have all done is stay clean inside for years. My mother's computer is...shit, six years old now, and it's spotless. She uses it every day and leaves it on all day. Same with mine.

What you guys don't seem to grasp is that there are lots of fanless vents on pretty much any computer case these days, so even if all of the fans are pointed inwards, air can still exhaust from the case easily. The reason for pointing the fans in is so you can control where the cool air comes from, which means you can easily filter all the air going into the case. The hot air has plenty of holes to escape through -- including through the front of the CD/DVD drive, which keeps it from getting dusty inside and reduces skipping as the drive gets older.

Do you get it yet?

23. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm kinda amazed to see people arguing against positive case pressure like it's junk science or something.
    It's not exactly an unheard of approach.

24. deusexaethera

It works like this, Doc:

[​IMG]

25. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Ya, and of course sometimes it starts out with a dickwad.

:mamoru: