MIL No Women In Combat Passes House

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

source: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_women_051905,00.html?ESRC=dod.nl

I have mixed feelings on this. But overall, I tend to think it is probably a good thing. I could probably be convinced either way, though. :dunno:

2. Accord

Accord New Member

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_women_052605,00.html?ESRC=eb.nl

3. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

good thank God

4. Accord

Accord New Member

To it passing the house or to the bill being shot down?

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

There should be no bill... the military branches should decide.

6. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

the military branches don't really have a system in place to allow for a decision like this, unfortunately.

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

They still decide. Agreed there is no system, and a simple board of Brass and SNCO's would suffice. They still make the decisions.

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Women do not belong in Combat Arms, but not because they can not physically complete the mission. Women disrupt team cohesiveness in male dominated environments. Add 1 female to a group of 10 men, and there will be competition amongst the men for her attention. We have all witnessed this happen. This type of behavior is detrimental to the mission, and the team. None of this is the fault of the female though. Men are not prepared to see women die in combat, men are not prepared to except women as equals physically and emotionally, and men are not willing for the most part to look past the gender and just see a soldier/Marine/Seamen/Airmen doing the job. And team unity is a must within units that are on the FLOT.

Now lets look at the physical portion. Women for one are not held to the same standards as men physically. If they were held to the sames standards I would be fine with allowing them to qualify. Women have different hygiene needs than men. Women in Combat Arms would create a logistical nightmare due to the hygiene needs. Finally women are built to carry weight low, and we all know the new MOLLE pack puts the weight high. Add in the that the average physically fit female weighs 135, and the average ruck weight for a grunt is 75+ lbs on a light day.

Combat Arms is not yet ready for women, and for the most part women are not ready for Combat Arms.

9. Ranger-AO

Agreed. To everything you said. But take for example the 3rd ID as they are currently deployed in Iraq. There are no "rear areas" to safely allow the females a place to perform their jobs outside the combat zone. Even though they aren't in a Combat Arms MOS, they are still in the combat zone, and still die because of it.

The only way to really keep them out of combat would be to bar them from even entering a combat zone in the first place. :dunno:

10. Accord

Accord New Member

:werd:

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

theres a small number of butch ass women i wouldnt feel bad about serving in a combat position or even serving along side in one...but theres alot more that think they should do it than that, so im for this

12. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Very well put, brackac.

13. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

That's what I was going to ask, what are "direct ground combat roles" exactly.

A female soldier from the logistics branch has her convoy ambushed and ended up trading fire. Seems to me that's both ground and combat. :dunno:

I would think that stripping every female from the entire area would be a bloody nightmare in terms of replacing the roles they were fufilling.

Good luck if you're a guy, your tour just got extended :coolugh:

14. darnit

darnit New Member

QFT-alot better that I would say it, but sooo true

As long as we over compensate in our society for women they will not equal up to the standards required. There really is no such thing as equality.
    I personaly think that women could,given time,fill a small fast combat role. Small quick hit units comprised entirely of women, considering the attitudes of our "enemy" would be perfect!!
    But then again I think in this war we should go to unconviential tactics since we fight an enemy that uses them as well.

15. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i thought this was already the policy. they can only serve in support units.

did i miss something?

16. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Good

17. Ranger-AO

Damnit Accord. WTF resurrected thread? :madfawk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.