MMA No WEC, no problem; Dana White says missing logo all part of master plan

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by IntheWorks, Apr 23, 2010.

1. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18849/no-...says-missing-logo-all-part-of-master-plan.mma

Interesting move. Could be a good discussion. Why do you think Dana and Zuffa went with this plan of action for promoting the 1st ever WEC PPV?

Me, personally, I think the plan is to promote it more like boxing with the PPV names.... And as far as the crew goes, it's just something familiar for casual fans..

2. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

I thought pretty much the same thing at first, treat it like a boxing match.
    But, I have to say, it's been pretty effective. I have seen more advertising for this than I remember for the last couple ufc shows.

Another thought, and its probobly a stretch, is that they are paving the way to fold the lighter divisions into the ufc as well, since that would give them even more title fights to promote, after a period in the ufc when it seems likeall the champs were hurt or on break.

3. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

NO FABERTOE, NO CARE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. Julez

Julez Active Member

So why doesn't Dana just take over WEC entirely, merge whatever. Seems like he enjoys it.

5. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Bolds plz. tldr

6. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

Merge is useless, they would have to make the cards another hour long and lots of the fighters wouldn't get to fight.

They keep it two separate because WEC salaries for the most part are not really close to UFC paydays (the headliners/etc)

If they keep it two separate he can still handle it but keep the entities separate on a business aspect. They will promo it like Faber vs Aldo due to a lot of the average fans will be like wtf whats the WEC? another UFC competitor blah blah

7. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

no. the ufc could benefit very much from 135 & 145 belts.

the ufc is offering plenty of events nowadays with a monthly ufc, an almost monthly ufn, now we're adding ufc on versus, a few TUF finale's each year, and a few fight for the troops events.

if anything the wec should be molded into a farm system mirroring the ufc's divisions.

top 16 fighters in each weight should be in the ufc, and everyone else can take a spot in the wec.

8. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I love the idea of turning the WEC into a UFC minor league - but I think 7 weight classes in the UFC might be oversaturation.

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

7 is still a lot less than the 17 that boxing has. plus we could use the extra belts when fighters are getting sick/injured, fights are on hold for the TUF show, champs are trying to hold belts in 2 weight classes.

10. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

The UFC should add a featherweight class for fighters between 125 and 145 pounds; it would still be a lot less weight classes than in boxing.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

12. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I don't give a fuck about boxing. Boxing sucks, and part of the reason it sucks is too many weight classes. I think 5 is perfect. 7 may be doable, but it's a step towards boxing - which is a step in the wrong direction.

13. Cro Cop

Cro Cop OT Supporter

I think it's going to happen within the next two years.

14. Julez

Julez Active Member

Is it confirmed UFC is taking over the lightweight division of WEC when WEC introduces flyweight?