No video problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DweeLer, May 25, 2008.

1. DweeLer

DweeLer New Member

I turned my computer off the other night and the next day when I tried to turn it in, the monitor was showing that it had no signal coming from the computer. Normally when that happens, one would assume the video card or the cable to the monitor. I tried another cable to the monitor and tried a different monitor and neither of them showed any video. I went and bought a new video card today, popped that bad boy in and still am not receiving any video. Anyone have any clue on what else it could be other than the motherboard being the problem?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

since you ruled out video devices,....

it could be the power supply.
    is the mobo posting? do you hear any beeps?
    does fans and hdds power up?
    a dead stick of ram can also cause this. try 1 stick, try the other if it the first one doesn't work. If any of them doesn't work, try a known working ram.

3. DweeLer

DweeLer New Member

The power supply lights up, the computer keeps running but doesn't show video. I kept it on to make sure, so i'm pretty sure it's not that.

The mobo isn't beeping, but there is a red a light on it thats lit up that i'm looking up right now.

fans on the HDD are turning on, i can feel it. But at the top, the light for the drives is staying red. Then after a minute turns off.

As far as Ram goes, ill give it a try and get back to you.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

find out what that red light means- if you need help, post your computer model

and actually, i've had an experience wiht a dying (but not dead) powersupply that started teh computer, but then shut off once i got to the windows screen OR pushed anything on the keyboard/mouse, so thats a possibility still. if trying each ram stick individually (you need to have at least one in there to boot) doesn't work, then try another PS if you have one.

whats turning off after a minute? the computer or the red hd light? is the hd lgiht always red?