No turn by turn directions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jun 19, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

What the fuck Apple? You add GPS and not add, or at least letting third parties offer turn by turn directions? I'm not expecting audio cues like other GPS units, but still.

I'm seriously starting to consider getting a different smartphone. I love the iPhone's interface, but the choices their making and not adding certain basic things is starting to piss me off. Unfortunately Windows Mobile phones are starting to appeal more to my geek side. It's sad.

2. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Steve Jobs doesn't think its necessary, therefore you don't need it. :hsugh:

I'm seeing fewer reasons everyday why I should upgrade from my 1st gen iPhone. No MMS, no IM client, no USB/BT modem tethering, and crippled GPS just to name a few. All would be SIMPLE to implement but SJ won't give the go-ahead.

Basically the only reason left to upgrade is double the battery life, 3G data, and double the storage to 16GB.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i just bought a garmin nuvi 360 :dunno:

4. Izze

Izze New Member

The SDK is where the magic is at. The A-GPS is not all that appealing, do you really need it? I have used the GPS in my car only a few times.

I dunno what it is, but I am guessing there is a good reason why MMS is not allowed. With such a high demand, don't you think it has been strongly considered?

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

But it even just comes down to the extremely little things. One calendar on the iPhone? When creating new contacts on the iPhone you can't put them in a group? Why can't they just make iCal and the Address Book act just like it does in OS X? Instead I have to remember to move an appointment to a specific calender or move a contact to a certain group after I sync. Doesn't make sense.

No file system? No copy paste? No true multitasking? I just don't get why they aren't working on these 'features.' I don't want to sound like the typical iPhone whiner, but still.

With all this said, I am upgrading to the 3G. But I'm really starting to consider my options.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i thought tom tom was almost finished with their software for it

7. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

A GPS isn't a GPS without turn by turn. Seriously, what's the point if it doesn't have that :ugh:

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

so it can locate you on a map and tell you where you are :ugh:

fucking stupid if you ask me

9. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

What I don't understand is that during Apple's keynote they showed Google Maps with a moving, blinking icon basically doing turn-by-turn.

The way iPhones' Google Maps is set up to find your location is first by IP, then by cell tower, then by GPS. Seems ass-backwards to me. I'd default to the cell towers only after GPS couldn't locate satellites.

10. verbal

verbal Active Member

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for accuracy, yes... but gps and battey life don't get along as well.

12. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

It doesn't keep the GPS hot all the time, as indicated already for battery life reasons - by doing a partial location beforehand it accelerates the GPS position lock, and allows Gmaps to start loading the maps in that area while it's figuring out exactly where you are.

13. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Google maps with GPS will give you turn-by-turn directions from your current location (at the moment you ask for directions) to a destination. But it won't identify that you have reached a waypoint and tell you the next step in the directions, and it won't recalculate on the fly if you go off course. The realtime pathfinding is a whole other beast for them to program and they haven't done that.

14. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

:werd: don't see the big deal about having turn-by-turn on my cell

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

TomTom says they're ready to release their software for the iPhone as soon as firmware 2.0 drops.

16. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

yeah, I can't see ANY way they can make GPS coordinates available to the phone without developers having the ability to write pathfinding algorithms.

17. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i think it's more of a liability thing why apple said no...

18. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Why can't they? Path finding algorithms aren't very difficult (many of us wrote simple ones when we started programming). They have access to the GPS and they have access to the internet to download maps. What more do they need? That's all my old Samsung needed to run Garmin and Telenavi on it.

19. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Having people crashing their cars while watching directions on their iPhones or getting lost trying to get to the hospital in an emergency is just what Apple needs.

20. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

That's what I mean - if the software has access to the GPS's output, any developer can make a real navigation program for it. They're claiming that Apple somehow crippled the GPS so turn-by-turn navi is impossible but seriously, how could they do that unless they do something really horrible like force the GPS output to lag 30 seconds behind your actual location or induce inaccuracies or something.

21. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Somehow Apple is more liable than every other corporation that markets a hand-held GPS navigation device? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

22. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Now that I re-read that original quote it doesn't say they're crippling the device - they're crippling developers. IE it must be in the license terms of the SDK that they're not "permitted" to develop nav software.

Brilliant, Apple. Way to encourage everyone to hack their iPhones even more than they already do.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so then why do Sprint and Verizon both offer navigation on their phones? How was I able to easily buy my tomtom? Why do many cars come from the factory with navigation? How do pioneer/eclipse offer aftermarket nav?

the liability rumor is bullshit. My blackberry thru sprint has turn-by-turn.

24. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Apple is protecting themselves by producing the ONLY current-gen phone without turn-by-turn navigation, once again setting a new standard for all other phones to be judged by. Soon phones WITH navigation will appear outdated, just like phones with MMS, or the ability to use bluetooth profiles aside from "headset", or any other features big Steve has deemed unimportant.

25. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Yeah, I can just look at a sign to see where I am. Then I need to get somewhere and oh, no directions, yay!