LGBT "No such thing as bisexuality" - new study

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Levin, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Levin

Levin Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/health/05sex.html?ei=5065&en=c4386390a5de9b2c&ex=1121140800&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

2. coma

coma New Member

Possibly true. But I do know, anecdotically speaking, there are a lot of people that I know who are married or single guys who have "girlfriends" just to deflect questions about their sexuality (not to mention those in the clergy). There's no question in my mind that there are more than 10% (whatever the number is) of the population that are gay.

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

"In the experiment, psychologists at Northwestern University and the Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto used advertisements in gay and alternative newspapers to recruit 101 young adult men. Thirty-three of the men identified themselves as bisexual, 30 as straight and 38 as homosexual."

Faulty to say the least.

4. Levin

Levin Guest

how is that faulty? the people identified their own orientation

5. RedGoober4Life

Because I'd suspect the people that are reading an alternative newspaper aren't exactly a true cross-cut of the population.

6. Levin

Levin Guest

they arent trying to determine the % of these people in the population; they are just saying that, of those who call themselves bisexual, the vast majority are not. seeing as how they had adequate controls of heterosexual and homosexual people, i dont see what the problem is

7. Dr. Giggles

Dr. Giggles OT Supporter

The survey doesn't say much....the article points out the flaws in the study several times.

8. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I find this to be intuitively difficult to believe.

I know too many bisexual people who really love both the tuna and the sausage.

9. RedGoober4Life

It's really bad to only survey people that are doing something gay related such as reading an alternative newspaper, when you are trying to correlate bisexuality as being masked homosexuality.

10. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

11. RedGoober4Life

:noes:it's a mad gay

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

now if the hand was blue or yellow, would it be a mad bisexual?

13. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Bullshit, everyone is bisexual. It's all a matter of degree.

14. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

this is weird, why would 1/4 of those "lie" saying they are bisexuals when their bodies respond like heterosexuals? would they "lie" or fake homosexual behaviours just to fit in? it doesn't sound right. I don't want to hurt anyone but this sounds like someone got sand in his mangina, I don't understand why some gays can't accept the fact that someone could be bisexual.

15. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

Everything has it's price ;) EVERYTHING

I've always said that and I've demonstrated consistently that I am correct :o

16. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

:noes:

17. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

In the case of females, it's been my personal experience that there are a lot of girls who say they are bisexual just to seem cool.

I think that study is pretty faulty however.

18. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

labels suck ass hardcore! Just love who the hell you want to love.. fuck who the hell you wanna fuck. Be happy. As long as you're not hurting anyone in the process... unless it's BDSM stuff :)

19. PurpleSplat

PurpleSplat Guest

That has got to be the sorriest sack of shit I've ever read and brings down the credibility of real psychologists everywhere.

And when I say psychologists, I don't mean camel fuckers like Dr. Phil.

20. trom

trom New Member

How does this bring down "real" psychologists? Bailey is the former chair of the psychology department at Northwestern University. He's about as legit as they come. Check out his research here.

If you're interested in reading the study, as opposed to bashing it because you dislike the results, check it out.

21. PurpleSplat

PurpleSplat Guest

Being the former chair of the psychology department at a university doesn't mean they're legit.

A real psychologist wouldn't make a determination about such a thing like bisexuality and say that it doesn't exist. Simple fact of the matter is that psychologists can only theorize about things. Psychology is a young profession, just barely over 100yrs old. The human mind is far too complex to actually come out and say that there is no such thing as bisexuality. It's like saying that there's no such thing as homosexuality.

Research, can be skewed to report anything you want. Anyone who's taken an intro to psychological research and statistical research can tell you that.

It's naive to say that a specific sexual preference doesn't exist, when we've barely scratched the surface of how the human brain even works and there's so much evidence to prove that it does exist.

It's his theory that there's no such thing as bisexuality... nothing more, nothing less.

22. trom

trom New Member

The position by itself is meaningless, but the fact that he worked his way up through the ranks and rose above countless other brilliant PhDs to the top of one of the highest ranked schools in the nation sure says something about his credentials.

It's a young field, therefore we can't make progress or learn new things? Why should sexuality, as a subject, be off limits? In the course of his research Bailey has come to doubt the existance of male bisexuality. That's his opinion and shouldn't be suppressed. Being opinionated is not the same as quackery.

True, but not research that one expects to be published or held in high esteem. This project was published in Psychological Science, one of the most prestigious journals of psychology, and was subject to intense peer review.

Science doesn't prove anything. Theories are always open to falsification if new evidence is presented. /nitpick

Bailey's theory, yes. The conclusion of the research, no. The research only shows that there failed to be a distinct population of men that exhibited arousal to both male and female stimuli. Bailey's opinion is that genital arousal is the best indicator of orientation, and from the results he leans towards male bisexuality not existing.

I think that Bailey is probably jumping the gun, too. But it's rather alarming to me that people are so hostile to his findings and would rather dismiss him as a crazy man than consider that there might be something there worth thinking about.

23. sholnay

sholnay New Member

:bigthumb: