No Sound in Windows Server 2003...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shermttam, Feb 5, 2005.

1. shermttam

shermttam Guest

This problem is driving me crazy. I recently installed server 2003 on one of my computers at home, everything works great...except for the sound. There isn't any. It acts like it is playing a cd, a wave file, etc. but nothing comes out of the speakers. The windows audio service is started, the sound card driver is installed, the sound card shows up under device manager, everything looks like it's in good shape, but still no sound. Does anyone have any solutions/suggestions? Thanks.

2. mace

mace i don't read

It's not muted, is it?

3. shermttam

shermttam Guest

Nope... Main volume is all the way up, wave volume is all the way up, etc...

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Maybe its Microsoft's way of telling you its a Server OS that's supposed to be locked in a closet or on a rack. :p

5. shermttam

shermttam Guest

That may be true, but the OS does have the capability to play sound, I just need to figure out why this particular machine won't.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Seriously, what sound card and speakers are you using? Where did the sound driver come from? If you downloaded it from the card maker, is it designed for 2003 or are you using an XP driver? Also, try different speakers. Even a set of earbud will work to test. I've seen older Gateways with speakers that don't work anymore after you upgrade the machine to XP yet the sound card works fine with earbuds.

7. shermttam

shermttam Guest

I'm using a creative soundblaster card with the XP driver, but I've seen online where people have gotten the same card to work. I will check the sound with another set of speakers...haven't done that yet.

8. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

Well, if it a recent installation, the factory setting for server 2003 has the sound disabled.

You need to install the drivers then go into Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices
    and tick the Enable Windows Audio box.

9. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

You may also want to check out the "Win2K3 Server to Workstation Guide" at:

www.win2k3.msfn.org

10. shermttam

shermttam Guest

Damn... That's all it was. The speakers weren't working right with the card anymore. Plugged some headphones into the jack and it worked. Weird. Thanks for the help.