No POST?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hathgar, Jun 28, 2005.

1. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

Im building a new computer and all the parts arrived. When assembled the computer doesn't post. Nothing on the monitor but all the fans on the mobo, cpu heatsink, and vid card are working.

The system specs are
    asus a8n-sli mobo
    xfx gforce 6600 gt pci-e
    athlon 64 3000+ proc
    1gb single dimm crucial value saver ddr400
    enermax noisetaker 420w power supply

i dont think the hd and cdrom are important so i wont type them
    ive tried using a different plain PCI vid card and still got no post and nothing on the monitor (it just stays in standby). I also tried a different more powerfull (520w) power supply and running the mobo from atop a cardboard box to make sure its not shorting out.

To me this pretty much limits it down the cpu or the mobo. Any ideas as to which it may be because newegg will rma the chip but i have to tangle with asus if the mobo is bad. Also i may just be missing something here so any ideas before i ship parts back would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Reseat the CPU, make sure the SLI switch is set to single card... if not.. RAM, CPU or motherboard.

3. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

already tried reseating the cpu and yeah the sli switch is set to single (it was the default so i didnt have to fuck with that). Ive tried booting without the ram in and still i got no post so i dont think its the ram.

4. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

try resetting teh cmos

5. chips

chips ...

if you take the memory out do you get beep codes?

6. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

tried that both by reseting the jumpers an leaving the battery out over night...neither had any effect

7. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

nope nothing...all that happens is all fans spin up and the monitor remains in standby...same thing that happened with memory in

8. deezil

deezil Guest

sounds like teh mobo is not distributing the power. If you have access to a multimeter, check the power good line, and if that looks good, I'd say replace the mobo.

9. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

If you dont have access to a multimeter... go to wal-mart and buy one for cheap. Since I must agree with deezil.

10. hathgar

hathgar Lurker

ive got a multimeter...do explain how to check the the power good line

11. deezil

deezil Guest

Find the wiring pinouts for the motherboard power connector for your PS, and do a continuity test between the Power_Good and any neutral line. If it shows anything, the PS is good, mobo needs replacing.

How to do it:
    Jumper pins 14 and 15 (Green and Black), and then test between 8 and 7 (Grey and Black). Set multimeter to 20V AC, and if anything shows, then the connector is good, mobo is bad. if not, bad PS.

Take a look here for pinouts: http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/447.html